1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Computer Restarts

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by troybunda, Dec 11, 2007.

1. troybunda

troybunda Member

Ok I gotta challange for you guyz! Symptoms: Computer Restarts Randomly when im running several programs or one. What its Not: Memory, CPU, CPU Fan, Hard drive, OS, Optical Drive. Might be: Power Supply, Motherboard. I dont think its the Power Supply tho. I've ran Hardware Tests and everything Passed with flying colors, Ram passed but still replaced because sometimes doesnt show up in tests, i dropped the CPU temp to the lowest it can go, replaced the CPU, CPU Fan, RAM, Reinstalled XP 3x. I'm thinking its the mobo but all tests checkout.... So came to you for some advice! Any opinions will help! Thanx

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What power supply do you use? It could be providing intermittent power to certain devices.

3. troybunda

troybunda Member

its a Logisys computers, 550W (I tested and everything looked ok)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, not exactly a high quality unit. I'd suggest replacing it.

5. Obike

Obike Member

Please post a spec list of your hardware.

Are you installing the drivers from the original driver disc or manufactures website for the hardware or are u using an nlite xp disc. as it could be a driver issue.

It may be worth turning the automatic restart off so if it does crash it may give you some info on the cause. (Control Panel, system, advanced tab, startup and recovery - settings)

When windows reload does it come up with a box saying windows has recovered from a serious problem. If so what BCCode do you get.

6. troybunda

troybunda Member

its a

MSI 775 socket mobo i think (ProP4M800V)

Pentium D 925 Processor HH80553PG0804MN - 3.0GHz, 4MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Presler

250Gb HDD
    160Gb HDD
    Onboard Video
    Copper Core Heatsink CPU Fan 4.0Ghz
    3 Case Fans
    Media Bay
    nothing in PCI Slots

(Not the XP Disk, I have installed it on over 200 Computers, Works Smoothly)

7. troybunda

troybunda Member

Oh and the computer does not shutdown, it just restarts as if you pushed the restart button. Got Drivers from MSI. Even tried to Update BIOS.

8. troybunda

troybunda Member

well i had some spare time and found a new power supply laying around, same company and only a 450W, but we'll see if it does the trick.... so far so good! but its only been 15 mins. ill keep you guyz posted.

9. troybunda

troybunda Member

ok, not the power supply, after the last post the computer rebooted

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, so we can write that one off (but I'd still recommend you change the power supply anyway). If you've tested everything else it might be the motherboard. Does the PC have a dedicated graphics card?

11. troybunda

troybunda Member

Nope, all onboard. just unplugged one of the HDD's if that fails will try the other. Im hoping its not the MOBO dont feel like taking everything apart and shipping it off, waiting for them to test it and send me a new one!

12. troybunda

troybunda Member

well the only reason i bought this power supply is the way it looks, it matches my case... take a look. The other Logisys PS i have came with another case i got. and by the way since i unplugged the other HDD so far so good, been about an hour and a half. so lets keep our fingers crossed, i keep you posted.

http://www.troyspcrepair.com/recentwork/personalclearcase/

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not a good reason to buy a PSU. The Power supply is the most important part of the PC, because cheap PSUs when stressed will not only break, but they can also destroy all your PC's components and even start a fire. Suppose you're not in the house....