1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rank posts

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by DVDBack23, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking maybe we could change the amount of posts for new ranks so that it more represents the usefulness of posters. An example i think would be fine would be as follows;
    Junior Member-30 posts
    Member- 250 Posts
    Senior Member- 1000 posts
    aDa- 2000 Posts

Any feedback id like to see what people think about it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. rav009

rav009 Active member

Totaly agree with that DVDBack23, cant see it happening though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

there are enough people surviving to ranks they don't deserve (just look at me); i think the post numbers we have now are quite possibly too low to reflect a member's true stats, as reflected by a number of banned senior members. lowering the bar only means C students will get A's and people that shouldn't pass a class will.

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Might be OK,....if posts in this thread and Saftey Valve did not count.....

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

drd is working on a karma system which there is a thread i think in this forum. the karma system will probably do away with post numbers.

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

@ddp

How would the Karma system work exactlly...

7. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

@ borhan 9
    A karma system is where other members give you points. So say if you helped out someone with a problem as a token of their appreciation they could reward you with a certain amount of points.

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Sounds good but what would happen if u help someone out and they do not reward u with points, cause it may only b optional to give a reward, which i dont care about but everyday we have newbies asking how the current system works.

Basically i feel if the karma system is goin to work it should b up too the admin and mods if someone helped or not, or just make it a step they must take when they solve the issue, sorta like the last step.

9. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

If it is implemented then there's bound to be a few selfish people who won't reward others or will leave once their problem has been solved.

10. rav009

rav009 Active member

Personaly i dont like the sound of the "karma system", however"my name is Earl" is quite funny(if you dont know what that is its some comedy about karma) :p

11. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

After all, how many here watch "The Carson Daley Show", let alone "My Name is Earl"?

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

lol never heard of that what you jus said mate, "My name is Earl" is the only thing on at 4 am on thursdays and before you ask what im doing at 4 in the moring..don't. :D

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

party pooper!!!!!

14. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Well if thats how the karma system is goin to work... I dont really like it... but thata mee, I say keep the current system and if people are inpatient thats their problem.

Those people who want quick fixes come and goo but the people that are tru to the excellence of this site will stay and add to this vastly great knoledgeable site..

15. rav009

rav009 Active member

I agree with borhan, people just come and go realy, i like the current system, whats wrong with it??

@ddp, LOL..i just don't wanna say, well..err its kinda, put it this way, "not suitable for the younger audience" ;D

hey its only thursdays anyway..i aint a machine :p

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  16. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Maybe we could all vote...like on "American Idol" or "Dancing With The Stars".....:)

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I belong to several other sites, some have a karma system and some have the rep point system. When I first joined them I thought those systems worked well but they DO NOT work well in either case. The KARMA system ends up with members that become FRIENDS giving hits to other friends. The only ones seeing any advancement are those groups that stick together. The REP POINT system is even worse because you then give every member the MOD complex. If you don't like someone you can just NEG REP them which makes them look bad even though thats not the case. One site allows enough NEG REP to suspend the members right to post or download off that site, kind of like a pre-ban situation. This forum had the best advancement before it went to the post count system. Having the mods/admins vote on advancements is the only true way to show merit where due. Just my opinion but this opinion is from actual experience on other sites. The old way was the best way.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  18. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I agree. Should be only on help rendered....

19. Jamzbond

Jamzbond Regular member

@ Jerry746
    That's an interesting proposition and there's merit to it, but how do you propose that so few(Admin staff) keep up with the already large and rapidly expanding AD population. I presume that the present system was set up so as not to burden the Admin staff so that after a certain post count you're promoted, not necesarily automatically but requiring less Admin intervention. As it is they have their hands full, so any additional duties will probably overwhelm them.

20. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Spot on Jamz. There's well over half a million users on this site. The old system worked well when there was less users but since AD has gotten bigger in population the mods and admin just don't have the time to individually promote everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.