1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rar files

Discussion in 'Software discussion' started by rtrg, Sep 7, 2014.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Can someone recommend a FREE open source archive file opener like RAR that is easy, intuitive, and does NOT need or use a password. I tried a couple of them and both needed a password which is NOT one I make up but one that is assigned to the file from where it is downloaded. That password was not displayed anywhere on the site for me to enter in the program. A bit overkill. In the alternative a file converter that would allow the common extentions to be read in ADOBE READER would be ideal. I do not often use RAR and the like but it would be good to have the ability. ZIP files CAN open using WINDOWS. The file is saved as a ZIP, selected, and it opens in the ZIP EXTRACTOR page. Simple. a similar program for RAR and the like would be ideal.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Winrar portable or perhaps 7zip,However these will be useless if you download something that was placed in a zip file & then had a password assigned by the uploader,in other words if you download a file that requires a password before unzipping then if the uploader has left no instruction on what the password is then you can't unencrypt & i suggest find an un-passworded download instead it's about all you can do

edit: these may help or not
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=h...nnel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kAoMVNzlEqGwmQWz2oC4BA

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Thanks. I ask because I downloaded a service manual from a website. I did not know until I tried to open it with ADOBE READER as always it was the that AR gave me a error. I needed to go back to the site for the password which was given and then download an extractor to move it to AR. Was able to read it there. I have no idea if any web site publishes the associated password and if not I am stuck. Is there a free app that will crack the password, and open the file automatically? I do not need to assign a password afterwards. That defeats the purpose. Any advice?