1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rarest problem with probably no solution

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by PotSmoker, Mar 9, 2007.

1. PotSmoker

PotSmoker Member

alright well I had a samsung writemaster dvdrw+dual layered tsstcorp sh-w162c

well anyways, one day I was burning a movie and the power went out, ever since then it can only read cd's and not dvd's, figured this would be the best place to post my problem, well anyways I reformatted and it still couldnt read dvds, only cd's, now when I say it cant read dvd's, it doesnt come up blank media, my computer screen will freeze and never load until I take the dvd out, I updated the drivers and nothing, so I bought a 60$ lightscribe dual layered dvd drive and use the samsung for cd's

does anyone know what caused the problem, is there a solution? has this happened to any of you before? Ive asked around and people look dumbfounded.

2. PotSmoker

PotSmoker Member

I know its against the rules, so I wont classify this as a bump.

3. PotSmoker

PotSmoker Member

no ideas or anything?

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The samsung laser assembly is actually 2 seperate lasers, one for cd and the other for dvd. Seems likely that a power surge or something killed the dvd laser diode.
    There is a very small possibility that it's only the dvd part of the drive firmware that is damaged, and attempting an update may just bring it back to life. (not very likely) Samsung drives have a habit of failing in strange ways.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

Try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!