1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RATINGS FOR MEMBERS

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by tripplite, Apr 25, 2007.

1. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I like this idea that we scrap the title idea all together. The optional part of putting in a custom title under your name can get abused. I think if you get rid of it get rid of it all togther and just keep mods and staff members and admins.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Scrapping titles would certainly take care of post padders and the occasional god complex displayed by some nerd once senior or addict is reached.

3. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

That gets my vote. Half of what's posted around here could disappear without loosing much and maybe people would join the forum cos they're interested in tech not rank. All pointless yacking could go in the safety valve...

Edit:typo

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Once again I'd vote for one title for most members,
    "Member Since"...
    Keep the newbie limit on posting once every 3 minutes rule going, use a 14 day window or something to keep spammers at bay. Just a suggestion on my part.

5. Nephilim

I like the "Member Since" idea. It's a good one even if Blivet thought of it ;)

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I can't take credit for it, I've seen it posted around here in various places, Don't worry, you'll have the title of
    "Neph, Lord and Master of all that is known" or something to that effect.

7. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

An idea just came to me sitting here reading what we have wrote. Our major concern is people being well silly and we having to deal with them padding or doing silly things that get them banned. Which should still be there.

My New idea is if they do padding consistently first of course warn them.

2. Before banning i would bring in a function either if they have a status that is higher than Newbie for this function reset the persons status back to newbie and if they are newbies and they are not abiding by the rules we can ban them or not even give them status and make that a temp ban on status for a period of time.

I hope that makes sense.

8. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

'Member Since' could work. It would give some authority to the poster. Rank in tech matters seems pointless to me - you either know or you don't, and what use is somebody of high rank who got it through post padding?

9. Nephilim

Sweet :)

Gun Toting Yank would work too :)

10. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Thanxs Neph glad you like my idea :)

11. Nephilim

We could have it say "Wearing The Dunce Cap" under their nick for a week :D

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

That's really evil, but I like it lol.

Just to let everyone know what I think, I can't see any problems with the current system. The only flaw is that spammers get Addict status really fast (for example some game forum users, those forums are basically chat - what's your fave game threads etc). I see spammers get it after 2 month's and start acting like they're God, it annoys me.

I've been trying to help out for the last 2 years and I've got a post count of 3343 (which its low I know, I'm back from a break). I don't care if I don't have Addict yet, but still the title is intended to show you've helped out here, so if the title system is kept can we at least make it so aDa is harder to get.

I was thinking maybe the general console discussion forums shouldn't allow increases in post counts because its just leisure/entertainment talk, but the console troubleshooting forums should still have post counts enabled. That should stop the spammers dead, right?

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yup, now that's something i do like, short and sweet.

I won't comment on post counts for any forums, maybe all the post padding around the place could be solved (or at least it would remove the novelty that our younger people seem to find with titles) with the 'Member Since' tag.

14. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hmmm, I like the member since idea too, now that I think about it it should be a more hassle free solution.

15. tripplite

tripplite Guest

yeah i like that idea,and i realllly like the dunce cap one though (although i'd be probably wearing one right now, maybe we should have a like a star rating system?

16. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

IMHO, ANY system that distinguishes members based on non-relavant or vague methods ('Member Since' and 'Karma/Reputation') is bad. I'm a member of certain sites where it's frustrating to look at the amount of respect(read:attention) that some users with high Karma points get, when in reality, they spend most of their time in a thread called 'Karma Point Exchange Thread'. The 'Member Since' idea is bad too, since that has really little to do with the usefulness(term?) of a member. I myself joined a little late, and my title is still 'Member', because I didn't visit aD often the past two months. So I wouldn't want any other member drawing any incorrect conclusions about me based on Join Date and Title...

17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

_ __

_
    ashwin18 we can not allow karma trading and if we limit it to x amount in x hours it should not be a problem

18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I was on a site that had a rep system vs karma...basically the same thing. You would give either a green for good or red for bad...it was moderated and still abused. You could only give out so many greens and reds in a 24 hour period and you could only give to a person once until you gave "x" amount of green to others and it was still abused. Cliques were formed and rep was disabled...there will always be cheaters and with sites as large as this one these type of "reward" systems won't work...someone will get their feelings hurt and complain about something not being fair and then the system will be thrown into the sh!tter.

The "member since" idea is pretty good, but I've also seen on another site a "Thank You" system, where you can give thanks for a post and it is there for everyone to see. There are no negative points to be given, only positive. Members also have the ability to see who gave the thanks and for what post the thanks was given...so the possibility of BS is limited because everything is out in the open. It would be like me giving thanks to Neph for every post in the this thread...it just wouldn't fly because he is obviously just a spammer. LOL

19. Nephilim

You brought a much needed smile to me face LOCO :)

I have to agree the "Thank You" idea has a lot of promise. The door for negativity is basically closed and folks that do a good job around here will get meaningful recognition for what they do which is the entire point of a rating system. Fluff posters are unlikely to rack up much feedback and newbies will have a great way to tell whose advice they can really trust.

The sig looks fine to me old friend. Possibly because I'm on a widescreen?

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  20. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

I like AD the way it is, :) it is nice posting around these areas. And I think the ranking system is a great one, because AD has not done what almost all other sites have done, and cluttered up their servers with needless 'rating' systems, AD has just one simple easy to follow ranking sytem which I like very much.
    I also think the member since idea is pretty cool, but rather that just having the member since idea replacing the ranking system, won't it be good to have both there? For example, you can still keep your senior, addict rank etc. but also have the member since, under the rank or something? (That way you can pretty much guess who the spammers are)
    Anyhow, I hope I have not repeated anything someone else said, I just skimmed through the posts, so I may have missed something.

Last edited: May 13, 2007