1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAZR v3m - mp3 ringtones possible help???

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Lord_P, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Lord_P

Lord_P Member

Hey guys with the new version of the Razr v3m is it possible to send mp3's to the phone and set them as ringtones? Also is anyone aware of the type of restrictions Verizon has placed on the phone?

2. chcknpckl

chcknpckl Member

Did you ever find out?

3. voodooutt

voodooutt Member

hey there,

I just recieved the v3m phone from verizon. They have disabled a bunch of stuff, so you have to buy thier service for basically anything you want.

Can not connect to bluetooth other than handsfree devices. They have physically removed this feature, not simply disabled it.

you can't send ringtones (or any media infact) via MPT (Motorola Phone Tools) to the phone using the USB cable.

Verizon is basically choking you to buy thier stuff. I am patiently waiting for someone to find a relatively easy way to do the stuff I bought the damn phone for in the first place.

here is another good site for materials on the V3m - V3c - and other moto phones.

http://motomodders.net/Default.aspx?tabid=36

4. Q4i

Q4i Guest

Have you tried using P2KTools or P2KMan to put the MP3's on the phone? If it can connect to a headset I'm sure that it can make any bluetooth connection, it probably just needs a seem edit to enable it.

5. robtheone

robtheone Member

The Bluetooth for V3m can only connect to a headset. through seem editing you can actually enable bluetooth file transfer, but ONLY through the Motorola Phone tools software. The OBEX profile is not available on this phone. There is someone selling a package online at CellCables.com that says that you can enable MP3 file transfer on the V3m. I bought it and it works for me. It actually installs drivers so that you can load up MP3 files for either ringtones as a files for the MP3 player on the phone.

6. djteva

djteva Member

----------------------
    Make a mp3 a ringtone without hacking your cell phone.
    ----------------------
    This trick requires a little work but worth it. This is a better method than the
    "Email Technique" or "Seem" method because it's playing your ring tone as a MP3
    file and not a verizon audio compressed file. So the sound quality is better and
    louder and you are not hacking your phone . Before doing anything, your file extension
    in windows must be set as visible. Go to START, CONTROL PANEL, double ckick on FOLDER OPTIONS,
    VIEW TAB, uncheck "Hide Extensions For Known File Types"

1) Make sure your Transflash card is in your phone.
    2) On your phone go to "Get Tunes & Tones"
    3) Select "Record New"
    4) Select "Options" and switch the storage device to "mini-SD Card"
    5) Go back to "Record New" and record a simple audio. It does not matter how long, I did it for 2 seconds.
    6) Go back to "Get Tunes & Tones" and scroll down to the bottom and play (to make sure it recorded something) the new audio recording.
    7) Shutdown the phone and put the Transflash into a PC.
    8) Copy a mp3 file into the root directory of the Transflash card.
    9) select one of the recorded voice file, right click, rename, copy the file name including the extension (.qcp)
    10)Delete this recorded file you just copied
    11) now go to one of the mp3 files, right click, rename, and paste that recorded file you just copied
    (all you're doing is replacing the voice file you've recorded as an mp3 audio file. Your cell phone will still think it's a recorded voice files but in reality it's an mp3 audio file)
    12 Repeat step 3-11 for every ringtone you want to add. One voice recording = One ring tone.
    13) Once the Transflash is back into the phone assign the file as a ringtone to any contact.

**DO not try to rename the ringtone you just added
    in your cell phone. If you rename it the ringtone, it will not work anymore.

7. Tbeaver

Tbeaver Member

djteva,

Can you please explain how to make the mp3 a ringtone a little better. I've got the mp3 on my phone, but when I try to assign it as a ringtone, it doesn't show up on the list as possible ringtones. I have a feeling I'm not putting the qcp file in the proper place on my trasnflash. I've tried putting it pretty much everywhere with no luck. Thanks

8. djteva

djteva Member

1) Make sure your Transflash card is in your phone.
    2) On your phone go to "Get Tunes & Tones"
    3) Select "Record New"
    4) Select "Options" and switch the storage device to "mini-SD Card"
    5) Go back to "Record New" and record a simple audio. It does not matter how long, I did it for 2 seconds.
    6) Go back to "Get Tunes & Tones" and scroll down to the bottom and play (to make sure it recorded something) the new audio recording.
    7) Shutdown the phone and put the Transflash into a PC.
    8) Copy a mp3 file into the root directory of the Transflash card. (This is the area that's outside of the file folders)
    9) You will also see the voice reorded file (.qcp) in the root directory. Just replace voice recorded file name with ".qcp" extension to your mp3 file and your set.

EX:

Voice recorded file: 2334441.qcp <<<<(right click, copy,then delete this file)
    mp3 file: Britney Spears - toxic.mp3 <<<<<(right click, paste over this mp3 file)

Just remember DO NOT rename this file on your computer or on the phone. Even after you record the voice on the phone, don't rename. Leave the file exactly how the phone name it. If you rename it, you can't add it as a ringtone. I know this seems like alot of work but its very simple.

9. lxhotboy

lxhotboy Regular member

dang!! That was a nice trick. I dont have a razor. I am with cingular and have the sony ericcson w600i. The phone has a built in mp3 player, hold anywhere from 50 to 100 songs. (More depending on how you convert your mp3 file) You can make any full song (mp3) your ringtone and dont have to pay a dime. Nice option for anyone who is a cingular customer or maybe thinking of switching to cingular. The phone is pretty expensive though but i got mine free with a $149.99 rebate. You guys should check it out.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  10. djteva

djteva Member

Yeah 256 MB with the phone your talking about is not worth the price. I need at least 1 gig and I got the 1 gig macro SD for $40. Getting a phone with an expansion slot is way better until they are able to put a built in 1 gig in a phone but i dont think that will be anytime soon. Plus Razr is ultra thin and thats important when u wear jeans alot.

11. Tbeaver

Tbeaver Member

I'm still having problems Dj. I can play the song on my phone, but it will not show up in my list as a ringtone. It's just showing up under menu #6 Manage Music. For some reason when I right click and copy the name of the qcp. file it won't let me paste it to the mp3 file. So I've just been manually changing the name to the exact qcp file the phone gave it. Would that matter with the copy and paste thing? It sounds great, but I was hoping to make these into ringtones. Is there a way to move it to the proper place after it's on the phone? Once again.. Thanks..

12. djteva

djteva Member

you are missing a step. Your suppose to right click, rename, then copy....

on the mp3 ....you right click, rename, then paste.

After u do that ...dont move anything anywhere....keep it the way it is.

When u record the voice file first, u have to go to option, and move the save file to the transflash card. then once u record the voice file the file should appear in the root directory of the transflash card.

13. mskater5

mskater5 Member

I am having a problem with this because when i go to put the mp3 into the root it tells me that the disk is write protected.

14. mskater5

mskater5 Member

nvm fixed that

15. mskater5

mskater5 Member

now i have the song on my phone but when i set it as a ringtone and it rings nothing plays, i can only play the song when i go to the music part of the phone, any help?

16. Tbeaver

Tbeaver Member

MsKater, I believe your having the same problem I had. But I just figured out what I was doing wrong. I believe your recording the message in the wrong spot like I was. You need to record the message in where you get the ringtones. How I've been getting to this part is go like you would to edit the ringtones in your contacts. Then on #2 it says, record new. This is where you need to record you original voice recording then proceed with how DJ talks about doing things. Hopefully this will help. I'm not pro at this by any means, but it really does sound like you are having the same problem I was having. Let me know how things turn out.

17. djteva

djteva Member

If it said your disk is right protected it means u have to unprotect the macro card. There should a small little switch on the card on the right or left hand side that allows you to protect and unprotect your card.

18. workhors

workhors Member

i can not get this to work it just doesnt play any sound but it shows the file
    anyone have any help for this??
    i went to set a ringtone then create new that leave no sound after i rename and everything
    i then tried it on record in my tones and songs that again gave same result
    any ideas?? or is more info needed let me know
    thanks for everyones help on here im new but already see how great of a community this is

19. Tbeaver

Tbeaver Member

Workhors,

I was adding some of my songs last night and came across the same problem that you described. I did this and it worked for some of my ringtones. I went back to the Menu and Get it now, then to Get tunes and tones. Found my ringtones there as well and played them. And then went back to my ringtones and then it played there too. Not all of them worked that way though. But you might want to try that. It's worth a shot.

20. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.themotoguide.com/
    http://www.motomodders.net/
    you find whay you need there. With a Razr you can just find the correct USB cord (Ebay $8) or a Cingular store for $39.99
    then go to the above links and you can download all the apps you need to do just about anything you want including ringtones (Motorola Phone Tools is good for this and can be found on torrent sites)
    They have skins and skin creators, you can transfer pictures to use as wallpaper, you can get or make custom startup and shutdown screens and sounds. even get into editing the icons on the phone with custom icon packs. All depends on how far you want to go, and how willing you are to learn. Most of it is quite easy once you do it. (all the P2K tools are a great download, also Skin Manager is a must)