1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAZR v3m - mp3 ringtones possible help???

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Lord_P, Jun 20, 2006.

1. TGIX

TGIX Member

Depending on what it is you want to transfer, I found that the easiest way is to use a memory card. I transfer music and photos that way but simply removing it and putting it in a card reader connected to the computer.

I guess I just always look for the simplest solutions. This one also gives you extra memory space to keep things.

2. jpiercej

jpiercej Member

All you have to do is send it in an attachment in a pop3 email to the phones_number@vzwpix.com and the phone will receive it as an email and will allow you to save sound then it will be converted automatically and available as a ringtone on your phone. I have done this many times on my dads razr v3m and my wifes krazr and it works everytime. If has to be sent as an email from an email program on a computer unless you have a pda with internet then it can be sent as a pop3 message from your phone.. If you send it as a mms message verizon will strip the attachment out of it when you get it but not when it comes from a pop3 account.

3. mmm1976

mmm1976 Guest

I am totally new to this, but I wanted to know what a pop3 e-mail is? I remember seeing it on my yahoo e-mail account, but I primarily use my comcast account. how do I know if my comcast, is a pop3? Thanks.

4. V3mfs

V3mfs Member

(1) Short for Post Office Protocol, a protocol used to retrieve e-mail from a mail server. Most e-mail applications (sometimes called an e-mail client) use the POP protocol, although some can use the newer IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).

There are two versions of POP. The first, called POP2, became a standard in the mid-80's and requires SMTP to send messages. The newer version, POP3, can be used with or without SMTP.

You should call comcast to verify which protocol they use for their email client

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Comcast is indeed a POP3 account. Spent 3 years with the bloodsucking leeches.

6. mmm1976

mmm1976 Guest

Thank you, guys for all the info.

7. sir_zman

sir_zman Member

Ok so I have a verizon v3m, brand new as of yesterday. I noticed that if I record a voice recording and save it to the phone directly I see it in all the ringtone assignment areas (per contact and in the main sound settings area) as well as when I click options on that file. If I save the recording to the sd card I don't see it in those areas and the set as ringtone option isn't in the Options menu for that audio clip. If I try to move the clip to the phone, I still don't see the ringtones options. I can successfully get an mp3 onto the phone using the method, but the set as ringtone option doesn't show anytime the audio clip is on the sd card.

8. OneTiger

OneTiger Member

I found that the method of replacing the qcp. with an mp3 was very buggy and prone to problems. It did work, and was a great idea but there are so many ways it can go wrong that I found that this one was waaaay better. http://aznuwee.googlepages.com/ And no problems at all.

9. sir_zman

sir_zman Member

I'm concerned about deleting files from my phone, can I rename TmpTneDB.db and MyToneDB.db instead of deleting them?

10. TGIX

TGIX Member

All these other ways of doing something that turns out to be so simple, as simple as e-mailing the file to your phone... And isn't if interesting that most of them are commercial in one form or another? I other words, they ask outright for fees or suggest donations. Once I found out how unbelievably easy is is, to e-mail a file and save it, and for free, I thought this thread would end. I mean that's it. That's all there is to it. In my opinion the thread should really be closed with that being the last and final word so others aren't led astray and soaked out of their hard earned money that they should never have to spend for something that's free.

11. flipper08

flipper08 Guest

Emailing sound files to your phone is not a free way to do it. You are paying the phone company to send the email which is exactly what Verizon and the other companies want. This is why they blocked the full use of something like Motorola Phone Tools.

I have found all the posts in this thread VERY interesting and thankfully, I've been able to piece together different ways to make it work for me. So no...I don't want this thread to close...there's been to much information pouring into it for it to close!

12. TGIX

TGIX Member

Actually, depending on your service plan, it costs either nothing or next to nothing. I pay a dime since I don't pay for the extra service in my plan. A whopping dime. So, OK, I stand partially corrected on that point. But if ten cents is such a huge issue, consider the difference between that and any other method where they want so much more, often near $50. And the best part is that this method requires no special software which is incompatible with a lot of older computers and even new Macs. Plus, it takes only seconds. I also like that it won't violate the phone's warranty. There are just so many major advantages and the disadvantages are what? A dime here or there or nothing extra at all in many cases? E-mailing the files works. The other software and hacking methods may or may not. That's fact. The dime is really downright inconsequential.

13. shellim4

shellim4 Guest

TGIX,
    Does sending it by text message work if you don't have verizon? Is the yourphonenumber@vzwpix.com address for Verizon?
    Shelli

14. TGIX

TGIX Member

That mail format is for Verizon. Whatever service you have likely has e-mail availability too. I would recommend you check with them for the address format to use and, while you're at it, ask what it costs - then give it a try if it's just a dime or so. What have you got to lose but a few pennies and a very little bit of time/effort? I'm pretty sure all services have e-mail capability that they use for text messaging.

15. flipper08

flipper08 Guest

If you don't mind giving the big corporations a dime, that's your choice. I do mind giving them my hard earned money especially when they stoop to doing something as low as locking a phone that I own so I can not access it to do whatever I want with it.

I've tried the email way and I've found the mp3 gets distorted. I emailed the Grey's Anatomy theme to my sister's Verizon phone. The same mp3 I have on my Cingular phone which plays beautifully plays scratchy on my sister's Verizon phone.

16. TGIX

TGIX Member

flipper08, I do mind giving these big corporations ANY of my hard earned money, even a dime. However, it still beats going through all tht ime of downloading software, hoping it might work, finding out it doesn't in many cases, or following a dozen or so hacking steps that in the end may or may not work and will violate my phone warranty, or buying commercial software that costs about $50 and still having to spend a LOT of time to get it to do what I need for it to do.

I'm sorry to hear that the e-mailing technique didn't work for you. It works wonderfully here. One time out of about 6 it didn't. It turned out the file was too long, longer than 20 seconds. Another time it came out with poor sound quality and I reconfigured the file to make it work fine on the second try.

One other caveat I would give is that the dime or so it costs in some cases doesn't include the air time. I probably should have said that. So I get around that by doing my ringtone e-mailing during my unlimited time (after 9pm and/or on weekends) when it doesn't use up any of my any air time.

17. shellim4

shellim4 Guest

ok, i got that figured out. Now, once I get it into a small enough file (which I still need to figure out but will fool around with it before asking for help with that:) )and send it to my phone, how do I set it as a ringtone? I feel so dense! Sorry.

18. sir_zman

sir_zman Member

Two problems with emailing to my phone.
    1) I don't have the messing service, so this costs money..it's not a lot of money so thats not a huge issue, but I'd still like a free way.

2) the bigger issue...the audio quality of the song from the email sucks..I have tried converting the file and sampling it at different rates and stuff, but when I upload a mp3 to my phone of the same song I emailed (note the uploaded file won't show as possible ringtone) the ringtone-able song sounds much worse than the uploaded mp3..much much worse.

Every time I try to connect my phone and run the Motorola Software Update program the program comes back and says my phone isn't fully charged and won't allow me to connect, which then won't allow P2KCommander to see my phone. I have restarted my phone and computer, and my phone is fully charged, so I'm not sure what is up.

19. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

E-mailing stuff to your phone will cost you if you don't have the extra services from your provider. I just bought 3 Verizon V3M razors about 2 weeks ago. I also ordered off line a USB cable with Motorola Phone Tools CD for about $10. I have hacked many things in my day but never messed with Cell Phones before. When first reading about seem edits I had no idea where to start. All I wanted was to get full use out of the Phone Tools CD. Verizon locks out the multimedia-ringtones and picture area of the phone. It took me about a half hr to figure out the 2 seem edits on the first phone to make everything work. The other 2 phones took about 5 minutes each to fix.

If you want to upload songs, ringtones and transfer pictures over usb then this is the way to go. The seem edits void the warranty but if you save the original seems, the phone can be restored to original in a few minutes. If I can do it , anyone can.

Jerry

20. TGIX

TGIX Member

On the Razr 3M you save the MP3 that you sent and it is automatically converted to the ringtone format (from .mp3 to .qcp file type). Then, to make it your main ringtone go to your Sound Settings/Ring STyles/Master Volume Detail and Calls. Scroll to the ringtone you want and click select (upper right button). To make it a ringtone unique to any particular caller, go to that caller's listing in your phone book, click edit and then scroll to the ringtone box, click select (this time it's your uppermost button on the left, not the right) and scroll to the tone you want and click OK.