1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAZR v3m - mp3 ringtones possible help???

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Lord_P, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Traveno

Traveno Guest

djteva~

OMG you are the man,or woman!!! I was sooooo mad to hear that verizon had the whole ringtone thing disabled when they signed the contract with Motorolla, that I was ready to switch back to alltel. They are money hungry little girls that have to have control over evey aspect of your cellphone. I think that if I pay $219.00 for a phone it better D#%@ well do what i want it to do!! THANKS AGAIN FOR POSTING YOUR GREAT KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO SCREW THE SYSTEM!!!!!

Traveno

2. silverV3M

silverV3M Member

OK, it worked for me but the sound quality is crappy. How do I fix the sound?

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

How to make your crippled Verizon V3M act the way it was supposed to.
    http://hacktherazr.com/guide.setup.usb.html
    this is where you start, enabling file transfer means you can now use MPT to make great sounding ringtones from almost any audio (MP3 or WMA) or CD file. You can also add pics, transfer pics, without paying the man for the service.

4. OneTiger

OneTiger Member

I didn't see anyone answer this so I guess I'll give it a go :). You don't need to do anything with them because you'll notice they reappear every time you go back into your phone via p2kcom to load more ringtones. But I suppose if you want to be doubly sure you can just click on it when you are in the mobile phone menu and press the copy button and it will copy that file over to the computer side, whatever folder it happens to be open to. That's how I saved my original startup and shutdown screens before changing them. I just created a special file under my documents to save all my original phone stuff and navigate to that on the left hand side (computer side) of p2k commander. Hope that helps.

5. OneTiger

OneTiger Member

I'm happy this works well for you and you're happy with it. But just because you are happy with it doesn't mean the thread needs to end and that's the final answer. A lot of us don't want to email to our phone, I personally found the easiest way was via a 10 dollar usb cable that enables a WHOLE lot more than just ringtones and was WELL worth that money. I've been able to do so many cool things with my phone and all without paying a dime for email or text or downloads to verizon. I think they get enough of my money as it is...lol. You keep mentioning people are getting soaked out of thier money by not doing it your way but it's actually the other way around really. I'm not paying a dime after that ten bucks. Ever.

6. TGIX

TGIX Member

So, Onetiger, you do all this with a USB cable and nothing else? You didn't pay for software? You didn't use seem edits that violate your phone's warranty? Please tell us how then. I have quite a few ring tones now doing it my way, by e-mailing the sound files, and have not paid $10. I could get 100 of them for $10. That's about 50 more than I could ever want. I am respectful and interested in what you do if it's better and/or cheaper but I haven't seen that. Please answer my questions. Thanks.

By the way, no usb cable I've ever bought cost $10. So, to be fair here, I could do what you do, if all that needed to be purchased was a usb cable, for about half that cost (a $5 usb cable). But then that's still the same as what I would pay for 50 e-mails, 50 ringtones, and that's the same cost for each of us - unless you're paying for software and/or violating your phone's warranty.

7. paintba11

paintba11 Member

I have done seem edits to my phone and yes it voids your warranty but you can always change them back to the original ones. I changed the seem so i can transfer songs to my phone via the usb cable (and many more) but i am still not able to transfer ring tones, i have to do it the way that is stated in the guide. also you don't have to buy a usb cable if you already have one for a camera. Onetiger if you are able to do ring tones via usb cable you should share so the rest of us can do it to.

8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@paintba11,
    Motorola Phone Tools lets you make ringtones out of your music collection, and transfer them to your phone via USB cable. If you are smart enough to do seem editing, then you know how to find MPT. Once you have MPT and have updated to the latest version, you will need to change to modem type for your phone from the V3M as shown in this guide.
    guide
    Have fun!
    Plus you can move pictures to and from your phone as well. A really good program by the way.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I paid $10. for a legal copy of Motorola Phone tools version 4 which included the usb cable. With 3 seem edits I can use every option the phone tools offer. I have loaded a dozen songs, changed and loaded several screen backgrounds and added 5 different ring tones from my mp3 files. I can also download or upload any pictures I take with the phone if needed. Thats what $10. did for me. This forum is about teaching and learning. We don't force anyone to try things listed here. Its up to each member to decide. But we sure won't close any thread just because one suggestion or possible way to do something was listed. The forum is open to ALL suggestions on any subject as long as they are legal and don't lean towards piracy.

Jerry

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

My apologies, after reading the last post it does look like I'm alluding to piracy. My Bad. I got my copy free thru a SUNCOM retailer by the way, without the USB cord, have several cords from MP3 players and cameras.
    The way I was alluding to, was a site I hate to adverstise for (E-Bay) or spread good word about (E-Bay) I did not mean to imply piracy or downloading from who knows where, you may get a working copy, but I would hate to see what sort of other programs are installed with the original MPT..?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RAZR-V3-L6-L7-P...2QQihZ004QQcategoryZ35209QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    1.99 plus 5.99 shipping and handling, looks new in package, but look around the net and see what else you could find.

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

MY post wasn't aimed at you or anyone directly. It was just a general statement. I bought my software right off a cell phone site. Most places wanted $40 to $50 for it. I found it with the cable for $9.99 plus free shipping. Yes, its also in many places for free if you look hard enough. Sorry if it looked like I was jumping directly on anyone. I try not to do that.

Jerry

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I just checked the site where I purchased my usb cable and Phone Tools software. Its on sale for $6.95. free shipping. 118 in stock for the Razors. Here is the link if you want a legal copy and usb cable. It doesn't get much cheaper.

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10504188

Keep in mind that if you are with Verizon Wireless, you will have to do the seem edits to get full use out of the Phone tools software.

Jerry

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

14. OneTiger

OneTiger Member

I did share actually. A few posts ago. For the first guy, you can get usb cables and software very cheap on ebay. Since it sounds like you're doubting my price or something? You can also buy them direct from verizon for like thirty bucks with the software. If you don't want to wait for delivery. Software itself can come from any torrent site for free but that's entirely up to you. The guide I used for ringtones was this one.http://aznuwee.googlepages.com/
    Works like a dream and it's easy! You click remove on the tmptone and the MyToneDB and they always reappear when you again hook up your phone. It's not like you are doing anything to your phone except add your own ringtones into the right file. All the software in this guide is free and works well from my own experience.

Hey, I'm new at this like you but I tend to just search and read every guide I come across and so far this has been the easiest one. Not trying to create animosity just saying that there is a viable alternative to having to go through all the hassle of emails and such. Whether this voids the phone or not it's simply a matter of going back into p2k and removing those ringtones if you are that worried about it. Honestly I don't think they are really going to question the ringtones that are there if that's all they see as extra but I guess you never know. I don't do anything I can't reverse pretty easily myself.

Oh and just for informations sake I use audacity to make the the 30 second mp3 clips I use as ringtones. Another free download that has worked like a dream. I have to say also that hacktherazr is an awesome site for easy to follow guides on your phone and they rate them for difficulty so a beginer can start with the easy ones and work up. Hope that helps anyone that cares :) Have a great day all!

15. OneTiger

OneTiger Member

I knew I couldn't be the only one who could find a cheap USB cable on the internet.....lol. And I'm with you, that's what I thought forums were for, discuss and learn. I've learned so much from afterdawn, howardsforums and hacktherazr and I am a total n00b at this myself. I greatly appreciated the people that passed any guides or helpful tips along my way and just like to share them to kind of pay it forward.

16. akuma

akuma Member

This is driving me insane... I've been at this for about three hours now, I've gone through all the steps at Hack the Razr up to using the seem editor about 5 different times, yet every time it doesnt work. I'll load the seem editor and input the location and bytes (h) and stuff then click load from phone and nothing will happen. All I want to do is use PhoneTools on this freaking thing and it's giving me so much shit I want to scream...

Anyone have any hints as to what I might be doing wrong?

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I can try to post the guide I followed if you want it. I never did a seem edit before and it worked for me. It may be a slightly different process from what you used.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    MOTOROLA RAZOR V3M SEEM EDITS TO ALLOW USE WITH
    MOTOROLA PHONE TOOLS (MTP)

1. DOWNLOAD MSU (MOTOROLA SOFTWARE UPDATE) AND P2KSEEM FROM THIS LINK.
    http://www.hacktherazr.com/downloads.html

2. PLUG IN PHONE--MAKE SURE IT SHOWS AS USB MODEM.

3. RUN AND INSTALL MSU 1ST, YOU WILL BE PROMPTED WITH A SERIES OF 3 OR 4 DRIVERS.
    CHOOSE AUTOMATIC INSTALL FOR ALL OF THEM. ONCE DONE, IT SHOULD DISPLAY A BOX WITH YOUR ESN# ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE. LEAVE MSU OPEN.

4. GO INTO DEVICE MANAGER, YOU SHOULD SEE:::
    MOTOROLA USB DEVICE
    >>ACCESSORIES INTERFACE
    >>DATA LOGGING MCU INTERFACE
    >>TEST COMMAND INTERFACE.
    IF SO, PROCEED TO INSTALL AND RUN P2KSEEM.

5. P2KSEEM WILL OPEN WITH A BIG WHITE BLANK WINDOW IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER.
    LOWER LEFT CORNER SHOULD SAY CONNECTED.

6. IF OK SO FAR, IN LOWER RIGHT SIDE OF SCREEN, THERE IS A “LOAD” BOX NEXT TO SEEM.
    TYPE IN 2742. LEAVE RECORD AS 1, THEN ABOVE THAT CHANGE BYTES TO 0000. THEN
    CLICK LOAD FROM PHONE.

7. YOU WILL SEE MANY LINES OF NUMBER/LETTERS THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY
    ARE . THIS IS THE 1ST ORIGINAL SEEM THAT YOU WANT TO SAVE. MAKE A NEW FOLDER OR
    PICK A SPOT THAT YOU WILL REMEMBER AND CLICK SAVE TO FILE IN THE LOWER RIGHT
    CORNER. YOU HAVE JUST SAVE THE 1ST ORIGINAL SEEM. NOW TO EDIT THAT SEEM.

8. TO ENABLE USB FILE TRANSFER--CLICK ROW 60 SO IT HIGHLITES THE START OF THAT
    ROW. THEN USE THE RIGHT ARROW KEY TO MOVE TO THE RIGHT. IN THE LOWER LEFT
    ARE THE BIT BOXES AND ABOVE THOSE IT SHOULD SAY OFFSETS . MOVE RIGHT UNTIL
    THE OFFSET SHOWS 006a. THE TOP BIT BOX (BIT 0) SHOULD BE EMPTY AND SHOULD SAY--
    BLUETOOTH OR USB FILE TRANSFER IN MTP AND BT OBEX OR VERY CLOSE TO THAT.

9. CHECKMARK THE BOX FOR THAT LINE (BIT 0) AND CLICK SAVE TO PHONE. IT WILL ASK IF
    YOU ARE SURE, CLICK YES. YOU JUST CHANGED THE 1ST SEEM.

10. YOU ARE NOW GOING TO LOAD THE 2ND SEEM TO SAVE AND EDIT.

11. TYPE IN 2827 WHERE YOU HAD 2742 BEFORE. RECORD WILL STILL BE 1 BUT CHANGE THE BYTES TO 22. SO THIS SEEM IS 2827---RECORD 1---BYTES 22. NOW CLICK LOAD FROM PHONE.

12. NOW YOU WANT TO SAVE THIS ORIGINAL SEEM AGAIN LIKE LAST TIME. CLICK SAVE TO
    FILE AGAIN AND PUT THE ORIGINAL SEEM IN THE SAME PLACE AS THE 1ST SEEM YOU
    SAVED. REMEMBER WHERE THEY ARE SO IF NEEDED YOU CAN RESTORE THEM LATER.

13. NOW YOU CAN EDIT THE 2ND SEEM. CLICK THE FIRST LINE TO HIGHLITE IT AGAIN. RIGHT
    ARROW AND WATCH THE OFFSET NUMBERS CHANGE UNTIL OFFSET 0006 IS REACHED. IN
    THE BOXES BELOW THE OFFSET CHECK MARK BOXES 0--2--3--6 AND LEAVE BOXES 1--4--5--
    7 EMPTY. IF YOU DID THIS RIGHT AND LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER, YOU SHOULD
    SEE THE ORIGINAL PHONE MODEL v.3.m CHANGE TO v.3.m.M. THE LAST M ADDED STANDS
    FOR MULTIMEDIA. IF ALL LOOKS RIGHT, CLICK SAVE TO PHONE AGAIN. YOU WILL BE
    ASKED IF YOU ARE SURE AGAIN, CLICK YES. YOU HAVE NOW DONE 2 SEEM EDITS TO
    ALLOW FULL MULTIMEDIA USE OF MOTOROLA PHONE TOOLS.

14. YOU CAN NOW TRANSFER PICTURES, MP3 FILES AND MAKE YOUR OWN RING TONES ALL
    WITH YOUR PC AND USB CABLE. RING TONES SHOULD BE ABOUT 30 SECONDS LONG.
    AFTER 30 SECONDS THE PHONE GOES TO VOICE MAIL.

15. VERIZON BLOCKS THESE FEATURES SO YOU HAVE TO PURCHASE THEIR RINGTONES OR
    PAY TO SEND PICTURES TO YOUR PC. THESE SEEM EDITS VOID YOUR WARRANTY, BUT IF
    YOU SAVED THE ORIGINALS PROPERLY YOU CAN REVERSE THE PROCESS IF NEEDED.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This worked well for me. Hope it will help you.

Jerry

18. akuma

akuma Member

Once again it eludes me. It seems to get closer and closer to working each time, but then blows up in my face >< I tried going through your instructions Jerry, but every time I start the MSU the bubbles will start popping up on the bottom, but after about 7 or 8 of them, it'll say that an error occured during installation and my hardware might not work properly, then MSU freezes and I can't do squat...

Any suggestions?

19. akuma

akuma Member

Update:

Now it actually goes through everything (up to the point of saying my new hardware is installed and ready to use) but MSU still freezes and crashes...

20. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Almost sounds like a conflict between programs on the PC. Maybe try to uninstall everything related to the phone process, run a reg cleaner if you have one, and start from scratch again. One other thing I remember reading--- you can't use a USB hub of any kind. The phone has to be connected directly to a PC USB port not through a hub to the PC. Once MSU starts, it takes a few minutes for it to recognize the phone and show the phone ID number on the left side.

Jerry