1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAZR v3m - mp3 ringtones possible help???

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Lord_P, Jun 20, 2006.

1. djteva

djteva Member

Just remember to NEVER RENAME ANYTHING ...on the phone or on the flash card. When you start renaming the file you will not hear your ringtone. Whatever file name the phone assigned to you when you do a voice recording you keep that file name exactly the way it is. All you are doing is replacing the exact file over to your mp3 file. The phone will still think it's a voice recorded file. Again DO NOT RENAME ANYTHING EVER!!!!

2. darrend33

darrend33 Member

Thanks Everybody. These methods for creating your own ringtones totally work!!!

However, I didn't want funky file names so, using my phone, I simply renamed the files, then put the transflash in my laptop and replaced them all with the mp3's of my choice. Totally Cool! Totally Works!!

I also tried to reset the default ringtone to an mp3 but the stupid phone won't let me select a ringtone from the transflash and set it as default. Since I don't really want to use too much of the phones memory, I just edited an mp3 down to a few seconds and moved it to the phones memory and presto.

I was reading in another forum where they said, if you wanted to just add music to your Razr V3M you had to convert them to wma format. Not true. I just copied over a bunch of mp3 into my music folder on the transflash, slapped it into the phone and started listening to the music! So screw converting them.. what a waste of time. (yes, i did convert a couple during testing. lol)

This weekend I'm going to see what other tweaks are possible. I'll let you all know how it goes.

As for the transflash ... 1gb really isn't that much storage. They need to hurry up and make a 10gb transflash.. at least.. i'm dieing over here with just a gigabyte to work with!

3. djteva

djteva Member

from my experiencing...renaming the ringtone doesnt work for me....doesnt matter if u rename on the flash card or on the phone and the phone doesnt read mp3 cause that didnt work for me either unless youre rename the ext to .wma maybe that will work.

4. djteva

djteva Member

let me elaborate more....from my experience...if you rename either on the phone or on the transflash card....u will see your mp3 file and able listen to it but when u want to use that mp3 files u created as a default ringtone or custom ringtone, the mp3 file will not show up as one of the selection...so it important that u should not rename....cant someone prove me wrong?

5. djteva

djteva Member

To clarify even some more:

If you record a voice file and save it in your trasflash card it will look something like this:

071006_34454.qcp <<<Keep this file name & extension the way it is
    and replace it over your
    mp3 file. If you rename this file you will
    still hear on the phone but will not show up
    if you try to set it as a ring tone.

I know this method works because I created 10 separate voice recorded files and replaced with 10 of my mp3 ringtone and they all worked

I posted some 30 sec ringtones for my phone i created here:
    http://www.djteva.com/ringtone/

6. steimy

steimy Active member

why everyone is so worried about renaming ringtones and all that i am not sure.
    But from the one's i have done so far all you need to do is take an MP3, edit it in something like Wavpad down to just what you want, then use Motorola Phone tools to transfer it to the phone. That's it.
    You can name it anything you want before you transfer it, It WILL show up with all your other ringtones so you can use it as any of your tones (calls, messages and so on).

7. Mz3Racer

Mz3Racer Member

What mp3 editor do you use to crop the files?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

I use Wavpad, you can get it free at download.com
    It is very good for doing ringtones. With Motorola Phone Tools you can only crop the beginning or end which doesn't give you a chance to merge a part from the two places very easily.
    Wavpad has a lot more it can do and is free so i use it, then just use MPT to transfer them. And if you plan on using songs from a CD pick up a free audio converter while you are there that can convert WAV to MP3, i can not remember if Wavpad did that or not. For that i use Cheetah

9. jpiel

jpiel Member

But did you do this to a Verizon Razr Phone?

10. steimy

steimy Active member

No i am with Cingular. But i am pretty sure you could do some seem edits and make it do whatever you wanted.

11. 321bob

321bob Member

i was just wondering is it possible to use a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer and download songs as ringtones from windows media player?

12. jpiel

jpiel Member

13. 321bob

321bob Member

no my problem isnt syncing im saying is it possible to use songs from your computer as ringtones

14. jpiel

jpiel Member

I just ordered the software from cellcables that claims you can download ringtones and songs using their software and motorola phone tools so I will let you know if successful.

15. jpiel

jpiel Member

Check out the earlier posts from djteva on july19. It appears so with some trickery. (good word)

16. 321bob

321bob Member

thanks i will let you know if i am sucessful

17. brown3223

brown3223 Member

I got this working for a new Verizon RAZR V3m today. I originally had the same problems as some of the other posters here - no sound came from the phone when I set up the ringtone according to the directions. The reason for this, at least in my case, was that the bitrate of the MP3 I wanted to use was too high (320kbps). I don't think the phone would play this bitrate - certainly not as a ringtone. All I ever got was silence until I took the following steps:

1. Download goldwave (www.goldwave.com) version 5.14. This is a great shareware program for manipulating audio. It is so good that I paid for a registered version a few years ago.
    2. Open the MP3 file on your computer that you want to use as a ringtone.
    3. Highlight the 30 seconds of the MP3 you want to use as the ringtone. Use the Edit->Trim command (or ctrl+t) to trim off the rest of the file.
    4. Select File->Save As.
    5. Type in a new name for your MP3 (whatever). Make sure the file type is still MP3 but change the Attributes to "Layer-3 ACM, 22050Hz, 80kbps, stereo). Sure, this wont sound that great on your home stereo but it is fine for a ringtone. If you find other combinations that work, please let me know.
    6. Hit the save button.
    7. Now follow djteva's directions exactly.

This worked for me. I hope it helps you too.

18. steimy

steimy Active member

you can use any sound file in MP3 format, or any that can be converted to MP3 like a WAV file.
    I use Wav files all the time for startup & shutdown sounds.
    Just need to convert them. I like going to the sites that have all the free TV and movie sound bites and using those.

19. brown3223

brown3223 Member

When you say "convert them", do you mean with Motorola Phone Tools? Please explain.

Thanks.

20. 321bob

321bob Member

what is the "email technique" anyway cause i cant buy the transflash or the cable right now i only got the phone so if the email technique works but has low sound quality i dont care does anyone know if it works and if it does what is it?