1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-install Windows Xp without a cd drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Brickz, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Brickz

Brickz Guest

My laptop is quite old. About a year ago i installed windows xp onto it, however now it is starting to get slow and needs a whipe. The external cd drive i had no longer works. I have tryed copying the disk to hardrive and running setup but it says "Your copy of windows is more up to date"

Is there any way to do this like running the setup from the hardrive throught a bootable floppy etc?

Please Help

2. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

through usb

3. Brickz

Brickz Guest

Sorry forgot to mention i have tryed booting from a usb memory stick and it didn't work. I checked the boot setup and it says removable devices only include floppy

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

There sohuld be a wa via usb unless you get the 13x floppies of windows 95 and use it.

5. Brickz

Brickz Guest

Any idea where i get these from?

6. whompus

whompus Active member

Copy the i386 folder to your hard drive. Boot into the system from a dos boot disk. Change to the i386 folder and run winnt, which is the 16 bit installer.

7. Brickz

Brickz Guest

So whoompus how do i get and use a dos boot disk because i tryed usign the windows 98 boot disk but when i type a drive letter like c:\ it does nothing

8. whompus

whompus Active member

Google for boot disk with ntfs support. If you had a cd I would say search for hirens boot disk but it is cd and if you had cd access you wouldnt be in this fix. If you have external cd but just can't boot from it. Try bootdisk with duse for access to usb drive.

9. Brickz

Brickz Guest