1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-post Backup NHL 2005 help?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Montecore, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Montecore

Montecore Member

I am sorry this is reposted but my first post did not go through for some reason. Everytime I tried to click on it it just took me to the main forum menu. Once again I apologize if the previous one shows up.

I would like to protect my investment and back up NHL 2005, from all my research on these forums it uses SafeDisk 3.20.022 technology. I also see that it's one of the more difficult options to backup.

I tried using the lastest version Clone CD to make a backup into an image file, I guess that is what they call that. Then I tried the latest version of Alcohol 120%, mounted the image, select SafeDisk 2/3 and burned each CD at 2x. I am not sure if I need to use emulation or not. It said it was successful but after installation it still freezes at the intro or crashes back to desktop.

I am using Lite-ON 523246S burner which is a sheep 2, I believe. Soon after the holidays I will add an I/O Magic (BENQ 1620) DVD burner....not sure the sheep rating of that.

Any thoughts?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried to back up the game using just one app such as CloneCD to both read and write or Alcohol 120% to read and write? I don't see any advantage in this situation to make an image with Clone then burn with A120.

Did you install from the original? Does the game crash using the original?

3. Montecore

Montecore Member

Thanks for the response....that game does not crash from the original. I read somewhere that this was the better way to try to make the backup using the two apps. Maybe it is something with the safedisk 3.20 I also read that this game is extremely tough to backup.

Are those two burners adequate (sheep 2) for this task?

Can I take the Clone CD image and burn that using Clone CD....as far as I know there are no safedisk settings like A120.

Do I have to use some type of emulation?

I forgot to mention that I have a Toshiba 32x CD-ROM as well....I used this drive to install the game...should I be using the Lite-ON drive instead or does that make a difference?

Thanks for your help!

4. Nephilim

My advice would be to use A120 to read and write the disc at 4X using the SafeDisc 2/3 profile.

I'm not familiar with the Lite-On 523246S. Are you sure it isn't a 52246S (definite 2-sheeper)? I doubt the Benq is going to 2-sheeper.

5. Montecore

Montecore Member

Sorry about that...it was LiteON 522446S which is actually a 52x24x52. I did not think that sounded right either so I double checked and you are right.

The BENQ 1620 is suppose to be one of the best DVD burners on the market but not sure of a sheep rating.

6. Nephilim

Very few DVD burners are able to make working copies of PC games with the Plextor PX-708A/712A and Lite-On 4xx/8xx series being the only ones I'm aware of.