1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-use old speakers with new receivers

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by chozunone, Aug 30, 2006.

1. chozunone

chozunone Member

My old 15 yr old Sony stereo system died on me.

I would like to see if I can re-use the
    two bookshelf speakers that came with it as part of new setup for the master bedroom.
    The frequency range for these speaker are 70hz - 20 khz
    with an impedance of 6 ohms.

I'm looking to buy a new receiver possibly a:
    Onkyo 504
    PANASONIC SA-XR55S
    Pioneer VSX816
    or
    Yamaha HTR5930

I kinda want to future-proof my purchase.

The problem I'm encountering is, the wire for these Sony bookshelf speakers is the type where it has the exposed wire and is used to plug into "spring-clip" ports. I see most receivers nowadays use banana plug type? Is there any kind of adapter I can get or should I just give up on reusing these speakers?

Thanks

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

The wire itself is still just speaker wire in a different form; I'm assuming that one is black and the other red? (Red is +). The receivers you mentioned aren't strictly for banana plugs, they will loosen by turning counter-clockwise (many sided like a nut from a nut and bolt)... you slip the bare speaker wire through the hole in the bottom and then turn it clockwise until good and tight. The important thing is to connect positive(+) to positive and negative
    (-) to negative.

With just a wire coming out of the back of the speaker, it is likely that you'll have to use some length of speaker wire. No adapter is necessary. Connect the length of speaker wire to the wire coming from the back of the speaker making sure that no bare wire remains exposed .... at the opposite end, stip a half inch or so of the insulation off, twist the wire simply to make it more solid and keep all the ends in the same place, run in through the hole of the speaker connection on the AVR and tighten so it can't slip out. AAgain, the important thing is to make sure that you've connected + to + and - to neg. (Red is positive and black is neg if your wires are colored). To assure this, speaker wire will always have a stripe on one side (or little ++++ signs) to make sure you're connecting it properly at opposite ends of the wire.

Whether or not the speakers are compatible to the receivers you mentioned is another matter. It would be necessary that you post the make and model. The most common problem with older speakers like that is a type of decomposition or drying out of the cardboard of the speaker cones which you can't really see with the eye. Post the make and model of the existing speakers and we can look them up.

For what its worth, speakers needn't necessarily cost a fortune. Some of us I"m sure could post some sites where you can buy new ones for a reasonable sum. But what are you going to use this for? If you're looking to incoporate those speakers into a multiple speaker, home theater sort of set up, it isn't a good idea at all. If you're looking to set up some sort of surround, the speakers have to match. Two different brands of even the Best speakers can sound like crap when put together in a surround setup.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  3. chozunone

chozunone Member

Thanks. Nice to know about the decomposition thing.

I plan to use these speakers temporarily in a 2.0 setup until I have money to get a better speaker set all around to do surround.

These speakers were part of a Sony FH-B5CD Component Stereo System.
    Don't have any more information other then that. =/

I don't know how much power output they can take so I'm going to keep it easy on the volume.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Unfortunately, that decomposition (the name of which I forget ....something "rot") happened to the best of older speakers even the best of them; it has something to do with the aging of the cardboard cones becoming brittle and effecting the sound.

I wasn't able to locate the specs of the speakers but after having seen a couple of untils on ebay, I'm sure the receivers you're looking at are of a much higher quality so be sure you check the speaker selection menu of the receiver and turn off all but the two fronts. Keep the volume low but also turn the bass way down. You could quite easily overload your amp with speakers so very unable to handle the load. Usually, the amp will just turn itself off if overloaded but you don't want to take chances. Keep the volume as well as the bass and treble turned way down. Good luck guy!

5. chozunone

chozunone Member

Thanks for the tip.
    The faster I get new speakers the better!

6. behrad

behrad Regular member

gerry1 are you talking about "foam rot"?

Heres my 2 cents worth. I think if you take it easy with the bass and the vol you should be ok to drive these speakers with most new amps and recievers. The most important loading factor is the impedence of the speakers you are trying to drive. Any new kit that you buy would be able to push to a driver or driver array of 6 Ohms.

As stated, the overall tonal balance of the speakers in another matter if you were going to use these older speaker in a sorround sound setting but you are not doing that.

I dont think you will have any issues with this this setup provided you are not turning the vol to 11. :)

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yes, that must be it! Whatever it is, it effects old cardboard speakers ... is it foam rot??

You must be right ... not the cardboard losing viability but the foam surrounding. Thanks. Found this little description:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/test.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2006
  8. behrad

behrad Regular member

yep thats the one.
    Yes it is the driver suspension that goes after a number of years and not the cone driver itself. Much like driving a 15 year old car with the original shock absorbers!!!

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LOL! Thanks ... I learnt something! They've solved this problem though over the last few years, haven't they?

10. behrad

behrad Regular member

From what I have seen it is not fully solved as yet.
    most manufacturers have stopped using the old ordinary foam surrounds which tended to rot after only a few years, to new acoustic suspension material such as Polyetherine (sp?) which is much less likely to suffer.

11. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

But you can refoam your old speakers for very little $$$. I have these ancient Advent loudspeakers and I thought it was the receiver that was dying until I took off the grill. The foam surrounds were dust and the cones were essentially sitting on the front panel.

For about $20-$30, I found a place that sold surround kits. I followed the directions and in about a half hour had "new" speakers again and didn't need to buy a new receiver.

12. behrad

behrad Regular member

cool that is cheap.
    Have you got an address for this place that sells these kits?

13. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

I believe it was called Simply Speakers. I have no affiliation with them and since it is a pretty common thing to do, I would guess that one company is not much different from the rest.

Here is the link:

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/2doityourself.htm

Take a look at the online instructions. If you are comfortable with them, it is well worth the $$$. Personally, it was very easy for me.

14. behrad

behrad Regular member

Thanks for that mate.
    I will look into them.
    I have an older par of AR monitors that sounded great when they did not have the foam rot problem. They have been in storage for the last 10 years since the foam surround went. I might have to get them back into shape again.