1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Vid----> AVI

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by FNitti, Jan 2, 2002.

1. FNitti

FNitti Guest

Is there a way to do this? Thanks for all the help

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

there are some articles on this on the net. I use the screen capture method, which seem to be the only way around. I'll be very interested to hear of any alternatives. I use the SnagIt screen capture program and create an AVI of the RM at around 10-15 frames per second (need to have 'hardware acceleration' setting in Real turned off), then use winamp to convert the audio to a WAVE. Then I render the two into a mpeg1 VCD via TMPGEnc. Works well enough but you may not be satisfied with the frame rate. Perhaps a faster machine than a 700Mhz Celeron do better.

3. TNT

TNT Guest

The screen capturing method seems the best way to convert your RealVideo's to AVI's or whatever.
    Anyway there's a software that can do this work but it has some disavantages I'm gonna list.
    The software is called "Tinra", it is a windows software, running from command line, but a GUI exists and can be downloaded separately. I don't remember where you can dowload it but with a search engine you should have no prob.
    This prog. uses the RealPlayer engine to reproduce the file (so u must have real player installed) and outputs an AVI file which __I SUPPOSE__ has these specs. Uncompressed video and PCM audio CD Quality.
    A/V quality of the output is exactly the same as the input file but as I said before there are some disavantages
    1 The conversion is real-time, no matter how fast your new P4 is ;) Well you could have figured this out reading above, and well this is not really a problem.
    2 This can be corrected with some patience but it's kinda a big problem anyways: RM's use variable keyframes, while AVI's use fixed keyframes, so most likely the A/V synch in the output file will be scrambled....
    I can't think of anything else now... oh well, except that the output files are AVI format 1 (the old format used when Win 3.1 was still alive) and the format itself considers invalid files bigger than 2GB. If you have long RM's, the uncompressed AVI might be bigger that 2GB I suppose.
    Anyways, you now know what this software is good and bad for, now decide if it's worth downloading :) (p.s. it's a small small file)

Bye
    TNT