1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really need help please!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Cirrinone, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

I'm using a Sony DVD-R/RW and DVD-R 4.7GB discs.

New to this. I've had problems on 3 dvd's I've burnt thus far. All are the same. I've gotten flickers of color, blocky... most of the time only taking up a portion of the screen or in various spots. In one instance, the movie got choppy and was moving slowly, in pieces. This happened for like 30 seconds. If I fast forward, rewind to a little after that part of the movie, and play... it works fine. Towards the end 1/4 of that movie, the whole thing was flawless. I played it not long after I burnt it.

1) Are you supposed to wait a while after the burn before playing? This would explain why it started working great towards the end.
    2) I get the .avi, then convert using WinAVI, then burn using Nero... is there a step I'm missing?
    3) Is this blockiness and color problems just a problem with the .avi?

In the "one instance" I was speaking of above, it was a movie that when converting, wanted to make itself into two VOB folders. So I set WinAVI to "1 disk" and "4.7GB" (it was set to 4.3GB). It converted to one disc. Was it this that was cutting some stuff out?

I don't know, I'm really out in the dark here. But I assume I'm doing something wrong when 3 of my movies have had flickers or minor problems. They're watchable, but I get irritated watching a non-flawless movie...

Help please!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What media and format are you burning?

How fast are you burning?

Do you have all background programs shut off during ripping,encoding, and burning?

The most important ?"Does your pc play your own backups near perfect.The same drive on your pc must be able to play it's own backup.

I couldn't tell how you were playing those backups. I am guessing that you are playing them in a stand alone player. Correct me if I am wrong.

1)Playing a newly burned dvd after it burns? I do it on every backup I make. I test on the pc and on my very reliable sony stand alone player. I haven't watched any of my originals,only the backups.

2) avi files,winavi and nero? I only know nero but when it comes to dvd burning,files are files.
    3) blockiness, color problems: classic signs of poor media,burning too fast, or combination of both,or your burner and player don't like it.

Keep that target set at 4.3 gbs. 4.5 is burning close to the outer edge. You got something wrong on your blank discs,mainly on the inner half of those discs.

Changing media is usually the cure,especially if they are poor quality. The answers to these questions will reveal this problem.That player is telling you there is something about that burn that it don't like.At least it is playing it,some media is so crappy,that many players get a no disc inserted error right off the bat.

3. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

I'm using Fujifilm DVD-R 4.7GB discs, and burning at 8x.

I don't watch full movies on my computer before burning, because frankly, I don't have 2 hours to spend watching a 17" monitor or whatever when I will just burn later and watch on a 65" monitor.

I try to shut off all background programs. I restart my computer, then shut down everything that opens at start-up. Then I do it all.

Thanks for help, hopefully will find the answer to this...

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Try slowing down the burn speed to 4x and see if it helps.You don't have to watch your backups completely on the pc, the main things to look at is how the pc picture looks when you skip around chapters,fast forward,and backwards.

No background apps. and fuji - discs should be ok, signs are point toward too fast burn speed.Or try a + format disc, they tend to be more compatable on stand alones ,especially newer ones,if your sony burner will support +. Many people have to burn at 1x or 2x to be viewable on certain stand alones. Just a couple things you can try,nothing major though.

Later

5. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

So lower it to 4x write speed with nothing going in the back and it should be okay?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Leave off all your background programs like screen savers and internet. Set the burn speed at 4x.No multi-tasking.

If no improvement,try around a 2x.

If that don't help,then there is something definitely wrong with those fuji's. Check those fuji's for their manufacturing code here: http://dvdinfopro.com This is a free trial program,there are more in the ad software tab,dvdtools.

Insert your fuji in drive,open up the dvd infopro program,click on the media button on top-left side of scree. There you will get a manufacturer Id # that will look like these:
    ricohjpn-01,mcc003,mcoo2,ty,cmc-cmagnetics, etc

This will tell us who made those fuji's. Later

7. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

[bold]Definitely[/bold] lower your burning speed to NO MORE than 4x. From what your quote says it sounds like you were trying to multitask when you encoded the files. BIG NO NO.... LOL! You may want to try and reencode it, turning OFF ANYTHING that might run automatically, such as Screensavers, power options such as standby or sleep, and turn off ANY prescheduled tasks like Antivirus or defrag. When you to reencode, start it, and then WALK AWAY. Go watch TV play a game, take a walk. anything else just don't mess your puter while it's working. They're kinda like me when I'm trying to eat lunch, I get irritated when I'm interrupted. ;)

Like Saugmon suggested also, download DVD Identifier in the tools section. I use FujiFilm -RW's and haven't had any problems. Fuji is a subsidiary of Verbatim and most Fuji are made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp, one of the best production plants so I've heard. Almost anything that says "made in japan or singapore" on the box should be decent.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  8. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

Crap, so I just encoded a diff file not too long ago, had all the background programs off then when I came back, I realized the computer was on standby. Didn't know I had to have standby turned off... does this mean the encoded files are crap and I have to do it again?

9. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

I'm going to just delete all the folders of encoded files, turn off everything, and start a conversion while I sleep. Is "batch conversion" just for multiple-part .avi's or can you convert many different .avi's at once using that?