1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really weird audio sync problem with VCD burning.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by AGFIII, Oct 27, 2004.

1. AGFIII

AGFIII Member

I got this movie, right. The file on my computer plays perfectly, but when I burn it to VCD, the VCD audio is out of sync. Help!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You did not post HOW you made that VCD. Not with Nero, I hope.
    A similar problem also happened to me once. An .AVI seemed correct, if played in my PC, but the TMPGenc's Video-CD mpeg output had the audio out-of-sync with the video. I managed to fix it this way (Let's I assume the movie's file is an .AVI):
    Open the .AVI with VirtualDub. It probably will say that the VBR MP3 audio in your .AVI is encoded incorrectly.

To fix it, you set your AUDIO menu to "Full Processing Mode". From the FILE menu, select FILE____SAVE AS WAV. It will prompt you for a filename.

This .WAV file might be very large (up to 0.8-1 GB in size!).

After that, use BeSweet (and it GUI), load the WAV, set in the GUI the location of the BeSweet program and choose the output MP2 output file name, choose "MP2 for SVCD" among the GUI profiles and click the 'WAV to MP2' button. After some time, you'll have a smaller ( not much larger than 50-90 MB) audio file!
    The .MP2 can be used as audio input by TMPGenc (click 'Browse' in the main screen, after the 'Audio Input' line, below the 'Video Input' line which contains your movie (multiplexing it with 'MPEG Tools' into a M2V video extracted-from-a-mpg file doesn't always work), and that huge .WAV now can be deleted.
    After the TMPGenc encoding of the movie into a correct Video-CD (PAL or NTSC) mpeg (with audio in-sync: check on you PC before burning it), build a VCD image with VCDGear and don't use Nero, please. After that, burn the VCD image built by VCDGear into a brand new CD-R with your favorite application.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  3. AGFIII

AGFIII Member

I tried what you said, and the MPEG that I got after TMPGenc still had sync problems.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Very strange! But is it an out-of-sync that you can fix if the sound is Syncronized of a fixed amount (e.g. +/- 2 seconds; in this case you can either must modify the .WAV - deleting 2 sec with Exact Audio Copy from the WAV before compressing it to .MP2 with BeSweet, for example - or appending a 2 sec (==> 2000 ms - look in the main GUI screen for this option) of silence with BeSweet before the MP2 compression) or the sound goes progressively more out-of-sync when you watch the movie (There is no reason such a similar thing shuold exist. In this case I have no clue)?

Unique error you might have done, in the 2nd case: are you sure that in Virtualdub you checked Audio__Full Processing Mode?

5. AGFIII

AGFIII Member

Yeah, I put Full Processing in VirtualDub. The audio goes more out-of-sync as the movie progresses. This never happens in the orignal AVI.

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, the only method I knew was the WAV extraction with Virtualdub and the subsequent WAV-->MP2 compression. And you're saying that both the TMPGenc's output MPG movie and the BeSweet's MP2 sound keep going more out-of-sync and more as time passes.
    Maybe it's the images who go out-of-sync. And I've no solution for this, because you would need to repair the whole movie.