1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RealPlayer 10 - StreamBox Ripper codec problem and solution.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Veblin, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Veblin

Veblin Active member

New versions of RealPlayer have been released, RealPlayer v10+.
    After installing RealPlayer v10+, StreamBox Ripper will no longer be able to convert files.

StreamBox Ripper may show this error message.

Decoding of the file requires external codec.
    Please download & install G2 Player (www.real.com)

codec info (cook)

StreamBox Ripper needs the codec cook3260.dll Cooker G2 Audio Codec for RealAudio(tm) (32-bit).

Previous versions of RealPlayer or RealOne Player had this codec.
    RealPlayer 10 also has this codec, but it is named cook.dll so StreamBox Ripper cannot find it.

Solution.
    Open folder.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Codecs
    Right click on cook.dll and select Copy.
    Then right click in that same folder and select Paste.
    You will then have a file named Copy of cook.dll
    Right click on Copy of cook.dll and select Rename.
    Rename the file cook3260.dll
    You will then have this codec named both ways.
    cook.dll This is the one that RealPlayer 10 will use.
    cook3260.dll This is the one that StreamBox Ripper will use to convert files to .mp3, .wav, .wma.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StreamBox Ripper may also show this error message.

codec info (sipr)

StreamBox Ripper needs the codec sipr3260.dll ACELP-NET Voice Codec for RealAudio(tm).

RealPlayer 10 also has this codec, but it is named sipr.dll so StreamBox Ripper cannot find it.

Solution.
    Open folder.
    Right click on sipr.dll and select Copy.
    You will then have a file named Copy of sipr.dll
    Right click on Copy of sipr.dll and select Rename.
    Rename the file sipr3260.dll
    sipr.dll This is the one that RealPlayer 10 will use.
    sipr3260.dll This is the one that StreamBox Ripper will use to convert files to .mp3, .wav, .wma.

Do not drag a file that needs this codec to StreamBox Ripper or try to play the file after it is loaded as it will crash. You can Load and Convert the file as long as it is not played.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StreamBox Ripper may also show this error message.

codec info (atrc)

StreamBox Ripper needs the codec atrc3260.dll RealNetworks Sony ATRAC3 Audio Codec.

RealPlayer 10 also has this codec, but it is named atrc.dll so StreamBox Ripper cannot find it.

Solution.
    Open folder.
    Right click on atrc.dll and select Copy.
    You will then have a file named Copy of atrc.dll
    Right click on Copy of atrc.dll and select Rename.
    Rename the file atrc3260.dll
    atrc.dll This is the one that RealPlayer 10 will use.
    atrc3260.dll This is the one that StreamBox Ripper will use to convert files to .mp3, .wav, .wma.

There have been reports that having the atrc3260.dll codec works in some cases and doesn't work in other cases when StreamBox Ripper is used with RealPlayer 10. The best that can be said is that it doesn't hurt to have the codec available for Streambox Ripper to use and it may or may not work in all cases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you get an error message like those above that give a different codec info name, try to find that codec in the same way and try adding 3260 to it. And leave a message here.

If anyone has other NEW problems using StreamBox Ripper with RealPlayer 10, please reply and let me know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been several different versions of StreamBox Ripper. Some versions support Real Audio/Media conversion and others do not.

These versions support Real Audio/Media conversion.
    Ra2Wav v2.003
    StreamBox Ripper v2.007
    StreamBox Ripper v2.009

These versions do not support Real Audio/Media conversion.
    StreamBox Ripper v2.010
    StreamBox Ripper v2.011

To get a version of StreamBox Ripper that supports Real Audio/Media conversion, I recommend.

StreamBox VCR Suite 2.0. (Free)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_capture_tools/streambox_vcr_suite.cfm
    This suite contains versions of StreamBox VCR to download most Real Media streams and many Windows Media streams. It also contains StreamBox Ripper v2.009 which can convert most Real Media files(.ra .rm)to MP3 WAV or WMA.

StreamBox Ripper v2.009 (Free). Part of StreamBox VCR Suite 2.0.
    This is a free converter and is very fast. It will work with all versions of RealPlayer up to RealOne. If you want to use it with RealPlayer 10, you need to copy and rename some codec .dll files as shown above.
    It will not work with Real Audio files that use the Real Audio 10 codec.

Another Note:
    If you receive a wmaudsdk.dll error when trying to run Streambox Ripper, you need to install the Windows Media codec support pack, wmaudioredist.exe, located in the StreamboxRipper2009 directory.

Another Note:
    Other RA or RM conversions.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/123539

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  2. kevin8er

kevin8er Member

How can I get streambox ripper to recognize the .rmj files created by my real player plus? When I drag them onto Streambox Ripper i get a garbled sound.

3. Joebird

Joebird Member

Ok I went to the folder "Codecs" but when I clicked on it none of the files are there

Can somebody just post a link that I can download the cook.dll from?

If not can I do something else to get it to work?

4. cbrhersh

cbrhersh Member

they took streambox ripper down. does ne one have a copy that they would be willing to send me thru email or somewhere where i can still download from?

i have tons of .rm files and need to convert em.
    thanks in advance.

5. norkam

norkam Guest

6. dkc4

dkc4 Member

I followed you instructions and when I try to open a "ra" file, I get "unknown file format". Pls advise what else I need to do.

Thanks zillions!.

7. Veblin

Veblin Active member

StreamBox Ripper was written to be compatable with previous versions of RealPlayer and worked up to RealPlayer 9 (RealOne Player}. The author StreamBox long ago stopped any development or support of this software because of lawsuits and settlements with Real. The new RealPlayer 10 has many changes that make it incompatable with StreamBox Ripper. By copying and renaming a few codecs some partial compatability can be restored. To have %100 compatability you need to use StreamBox Ripper with previous versions of RealPlayer 6,7,8,9.

Any information I have about these codec changes and a link to download legacy versions of RealPlayer are here.
    http://pub25.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=70.topic

8. arnoob151

arnoob151 Member

I used the method written in the forum but when I went to the codec folder there was no cook.dll there was the original cook3260.dll I then tried doing what you did and named a copy cook.dll and it still din't work.

9. drkcinema

drkcinema Member

I had RealPlayer 10. I want to burn some RealAudio .ram files to cd. I downloaded Streambox Ripper..it says version 2.009. I kept getting the error "Unknown File Format" when I tried dragging the *.ram files to Streambox Ripper. I tried the renaming of the cook.dll file..no dice, still getting the error. So I downloaded RealPlayer 8 and installed it, rebooted. Streambox Ripper still gives the same error "Unknown File Format" when I try to drag the .ram file to it. Any ideas/thoughts?

10. p7ducigi

p7ducigi Member

It appears as if Real Player 10 automatically downloads a file called rn_tmpsb.r1m to perfectly buffer the stream. Copying this file is much faster than the endless attempts using StreamBox VCR. Of course I tried to push the file through StreamBox Ripper, but it doesn't work (even with the cook3260.dll fix). Is there a new codec for this format?

11. emck

emck Member

In response to what Veblin wrote - I followed your instructions and copied and renamed the cook.dll file but this did not work for me. I am still getting the same error message from streambox ripper. Do you have any other suggestions for successfully converting these files to mp3 using streambox ripper? I am looking forward to your response!

Thanking you in advance,

CK

12. babykitty

babykitty Member

very useful, thanks Veblin :)

13. charlesjm

charlesjm Member

This proceedure also worked for me using
    RM to MP3 v1.51

14. qmore66

qmore66 Guest

This way also worked for me thanks Veblin

15. blco32

blco32 Member

I have a question about "ram" files. Is there a difference? I ask this because StreamBox ripper will convert some rams and not others. I download a lot of rams and have to use "rawavrecorder" to get them to "wave". Is there an easier way? Thanks in advance. Oh, I forgot, I did the "3260" file change.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  16. blathe

blathe Guest

I'm trying to use streambox vcr to record a video i'm watching via realplayer 10. But I can't even figure out how this program is supposed to work.. .if it can work. I haven't been able to find any way to save the video file. It saves itself in a .r1m file while it is playing but that file is not re-playable. Can streambox vcr do what I'm trying to do, and if so, can anybody point me in the right direction on how to get the program to work? It's not at all intuitive how it's supposed to be used and I'm not sure if I'm using it wrong or if it just doesn't work.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

17. IDOOO

IDOOO Member

Now we can use Mini-stream Ripper instead of streambox ripper.

http://www.mini-stream.com/rm-to-mp3/

Mini-stream Ripper is a multi-channel Music Converter and CD Ripper, which makes it convenient to convert the music in CD, RM, RMVB, RMJ, RAM, RA, MP3, WMA, WMV, ASF, ASX, OGG and WAV formats into other audio file formats. Its converting speed can be freely adjusted, and you'll find its marvelous speed especially when you convert the real audio files into other formats. You can get multiple formats audio files at one time for Mini-stream Ripper’s powerful multi-channel Stream Engine. If you are the VCR fans, don't worry, our software is the right choice for you, and you will find the interface quite familiar and friendly. Just try it!!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  18. blathe

blathe Guest

Except I need the video part :)
    I'm not just trying to rip out the sound...

19. Veblin

Veblin Active member

blathe

Recording streaming media is fairly simple but it does take a little knowledge and practice. Click the link below and start reading the FAQ's. Then look at some of the other information there as well. Post a question on that forum if you have a problem.

20. scout1

scout1 Member

I use Streambox Ripper (ver2,0,0,8) on my laptop, with Win98, and it works, but it doesn't work on my WinXP machine. The versions (ver6.0.9.584) and codecs are the same on both, and have the cook3260.dll file installed, but I get the following message. What's going on?

codec info (cook)