1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Spiritism, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Spiritism

Spiritism Member

yo i want you guys opinion on this tv http://store.futureusa.net/sahc42wiprhd.html
    its the cheapest i could find of that size and display. Looks pretty nice to me but i know nothing. Also I would like to know about rear projection. It would seem that this tv is rear projection and I would like to know how long these last. I seen how much these replacemnt bulbs can cost and i dont want to pay that mcuh. :(
    me = dont want to spend $300 on a light bulb hehe

2. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

Regardless of what opinions you get here regarding costs and reliability, do yourself a big favour. Find a good shop to at least let you spend some time looking at various signal sources. You may end up with a big picture, but a lot of rear projection TV's give a crap viewing experience, especially if you don't want to keep closing the curtains every time you watch TV.

3. Spiritism

Spiritism Member

what?

i wanted some opinions, i want some opinions
    this is the tv im gonna be getting this weekend i just wanted some opionions on the quality and size and if the price is right
    Thats it
    ill get it started

IMO it looks nice i read the specifications and they seem to be pretty good. My family is getting this they wanted me to look for a good priced hd ready tv on the net and this is the best i found. If there are any other places on the net with discount tvs that can compete with this then please tell :)
    mainly i want it for the xbox360 i want to be able to get the full capabilities out of it you know what i mean.

Please go on with the opinions

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

5. Spiritism

Spiritism Member

are you sure?

its hd ready

EDIT: yep just checked it out at some other sites and it does have the component ports so thats a plus yay :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  6. soberfree

soberfree Regular member

projection tv. Aaaaahhhhhhhh its not worth to invest in.. bad view in bright light.. bad quality... well if the price is right for u just grap it, Y ask for quality????

7. Spiritism

Spiritism Member

this particular one looks pretty good...
    im sure they all differ by manufactor
    dont know if all are the same
    dont really know its says it has good quality and the screen size is just right but i dont think all rear projection tvs are gonna suck in light

8. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

I was just trying to give you honest advice.

Surely it is far better to have at look at the picture quality yourself rather than ask for other people’s opinions as it's you that has to live with it, not us.

If you have already bought it or are unwilling to change your mind, what difference does it make what opinion anyone here has as it’s already too late to help you. Regardless of what has been said, you are defending it.
    What looks good ? it can't be the picture as you haven't seen it!

Rear projection TVs are old technology and regardless of any port connection upgrades they do on the input, the main function is to display pictures, and rear projection has always been a very poor quality compared to other displays.

If all you want is size, then you've got it, if you wanted quality, then you haven't!

Sorry but that's the facts not an opinion.

But to honest, if you’ve gone and bought a TV without even seeing in working then you deserve what you get.

I am not trying to be nasty, and I hope you are very happy with it when you get it. You probably will be, but in my opinion (which is what you requested) I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole!

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

about.com on CRT Projos
    http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/a/aavprojectora_2.htm

I have only seen a 42" CRT projection tvs by Toshiba. If this one is like the toshiba model you should be very happy with the picture quality and viewing angle. I found the 42" toshiba model to be vivid and easy to see from just about any angle, unlike most CRT projection that are large. They make you sit dead center to achieve maximum picture quality!

The CRT isn't dead yet!
    Ced

10. soberfree

soberfree Regular member

i totally agree with webhedreg.
    i personally have one projection TVVVV.. its S**k, i would recomend spiritism look in to DLP. DLP has beter picture quality and newer tech. Why don't u go to a shop and find out urself,but remember ask alot of question. and comparing different tv side by side. differ tech has differ quality... Anyway i don't want to outcome your decision. buy whatever u can effort to.. have fun with the PROJECTION..

11. Spiritism

Spiritism Member

yeah i understand about the picture quality which is why i am not gonna be getting rear projection
    i tokk your advice and went to best buy and looked and they looked just horrible at some angles
    Its like when you are standing up you cant see shit whereas sitting down right in front of it is where you can see the best picture

12. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

I recently viewed several DLP's the other day and I really wasn't all that impressed. I thought picture quality was supposed to stay the same from no matter what angle you viewed and when I moved to the side of all of them no matter where I always felt like I was looking at a RPTV. The picture got dark and shadowy and just didn't look very good.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  13. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

I have a 47 inch RPTV and it looks damn good nearly from all angles. Minus when I stand. But, I rarely stand and watch hours of TV so that really isn't a problem. It even looks good from the sides provided you aren't sitting way off to the side, but who does that anyway? I think as long as you pick up a decent set a RPTV can look just as good as a DLP and LCD.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

You would do well to go online and read professional reviews of the product. Some rear projections are just awesome while some are junk...like anything else I suppose. Some replacement lamps will cost $150 while others will cost you $500. Some manufacturers have problems with lamps burning out in no time (sony was one until they fixed the problem) while others will last for years (but all burn out eventually). LCD rear projection is, in my opinion, the best of the rear projections...it is also what I own. I would have preferred a regular LCD TV but you won't find a 42 for under six thousand but I'm still really happy with mine...still a far better picture than most plasmas I've seen. Some people like DLP (which smasung uses quite a lot) but I thought the picture rather grainy. Rear projections are a hell of a lot better than they use to be...they had dim areas or darks that didn't come across well but they've made huge leaps with those problems. Still, you've got to be careful. Read professional reviews along with the personal opinions you'll get from sites like this. Happy viewing.

15. Daurker

Daurker Member

I agree with gerry1. Check out some reviews. I have a Hitachi 57" HDTV (57f510) and I love it. I don't have $4k on up to spend on a plasma TV for the size I want. I compared in the store back and forth and talked with the sales reps. Most of them have one of the TVs their selling. Ask them which one they'd put in their house. Try to find a store that has this TV and go see it. It's going to be in your home so I'd take the time to actually see it in person.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  16. Pwn3d

Pwn3d Member

hey now i have a 51 inch Hitachi Rear pro HD tv and it exceeds the quality of the samsung DLP's out there. If you are going to go with a rear pro go for the hitachi. They are AWESOME! the reason is that only 2 manafacures of rear pro TV tubes exist. That is 3M and hitachi. And the hitachi exceeds over the 3M by a long shot.

17. ybor

ybor Member

I have the Mitsubishi 52" DLP and it has a great veiwing angle, nice brilliant colors, and overall performs great. Couldn't have been happier for the price.

18. BIGBOB22

BIGBOB22 Guest

Wow, what a bunch of misinformation and AV Urban Legends...

We have statements that that indicate that that rear projection is s##t, but that you should look at DLP. What about DLP rear projection?

First of all, Rear Projection is [bold]NOT[/bold] a technology, it is an implemination of "a" technology. Types of displays are as follows: Rear Projection (and Front Projection) are available as follows: CRT, DLP, LCOS, SXRD, D-ILA, and LCD.

Secondly, the Sony R60 SXRD (LCOS) "rear projection", which is capable of 1920 x 1080 (full 1080p resolution) will blow the doors off any display you care to compare it with, with the exception of $35,000 to $135,000 D-ILA, LCOS, or CRT front projectors. (See posts by diabolos and myself regarding this projector)

Thirdly, to take "full advantage" of Xbox360 (which outputs 1080i) you need a display with a native resoltion of 1920 x 1080. Also as diabolos points out, you will also need DVI or HDMI in order to display 1080i. You will not find this for less than $4,000 or so(this price point being on the low end of quality for 1080i sets, with the Sony R60 $13,000 list, $10,500 street, being the current state of the art), and it WILL BE rear projection!

As always, with consumer electronics, "YOU GET WHAT YOY PAY FOR", there are no short cuts... BOB

19. BigMike2

BigMike2 Member

I've been doing some serious looking at RP DLP sets in 50 - 56" and they have some great pictures. 1080p in these sets are just starting to get going strong, at least here in the States. Samsung seems to be the leader on the cutting edge of the DLP technology. They have a production relationship with Ti, the inventor of DLP tech.

I've decided to put off a purchase until middle of '06 to let the 1080p market settle down some. Plus I'm hoping Costco will start carrying these sets. They currewntly carry the Samsung 720p DLP sets in various sizes.

Mike