1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rebuild a dryer motor

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Mr_Del, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

OK this is definitely a any other topic. I'm sure there are some appliance repair people that will see this. I think my Dryer Motor is trying to die. It is about 6 years old now and a Roper. At first you would hit the start button and just hear a buzz sound. I opened the dryers to have a look. (Yes I unplugged it 220 Volts can get nasty)I removed the drum and everything in the way of the motor. Then grabbing the spindle an attempt was made to turn it by hand. It did not want to move no matter how much force was used. A socket wrench cam in handy and allowed me to move the spindle. After that is was easy to turn by hand.

After Vacuuming out all the lint the machine was put back together. Plugged it back up and hit start. The thing ran but was bit louder than normal. The machine continued to work for a few days and started to struggle again. I thought I would be smart and turn the drum by hand at the same time the machine was trying. This did work once and got another day out of it. Finally it started to struggle again but this time it died.

I have not opened it back up yet. I have been looking for the part to replace it. A new motor is about $90. A rebuilt one is cheaper but none for my model. So now before the machine is opened again I want to go in with the knowledge on how to rebuild the motor so it will work again. If you can help then please reply. I can't afford a new one and cloths stink if they don't dry.

-Del

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You need to just replace the motor. It sounds like the bearings are gone so there may be other damage as well. Those little motors are not worth rebuilding.

Repairing your dryer may sound like a good idea to save some money, but if you have to ask how to go about it on a forum then maybe it is not such a good idea.

Not only can you electrocute yourself or a family member, you could start a fire.

3. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

have u tried lookin around at garage sales and in the dump?

at garage sales u can buy a second hand dryer for like $50
    go to the dump and look around for dryers and rip there motor out,

its not worth rebuilding a little motor like yours,its a waste of you time and money, well i hope this helps you.

did u know that theres such thing as a cloths line outside where u can dry your cloths all summer? u might wanna use the great out doors until u find one!!!

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I am not a newb to electronics. I would be fully capable of replacing the motor without causing any fires or going to the hospital. I just thought I would see if it could be rebuilt without having to spend $90 on the part. I will ask the guy on Ebay if he has my motor if so then I will only be out $20.

We have debated the clothesline deal until we can fix or replace the dryer. The problem to that is we have a 10-7-4-3 year olds. G-B-G-B. That is a pretty good combination for a yard decorated with my clothes. For now we will just wash and go to the Mat for drying. I haven't even thought of the dump. Will they just let you lose on their yard to find a part?

-Del

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The problem with those motors is that once they go bad they need so many parts that the thing ends up costing more than a new one. If you can find parts. Where I work we take all our big 3phase motors to a rebuild shop and get them done. Getting fractional HP single phas motors rebuilt is pretty rare but I'm sure it's possible.

When replacing a motor make sure the pulley is installed and aligned correctly and the correct belt tension is applied. Connecting the electrical leads should not be a problem as this is a 120VAC motor. The biggest concern is that the connections to the motor are secure and the ground wire is connected. Because motors have a rather heavy inrush current during start-up the connections, if loose, can get very hot. I have seen wire-nuts melt before my eyes. You can't get to the disconnect quick enough when that happens. {Only Once! and on a 20HP air compressor motor)

As far as hanging all those clothes out to dry, your significant other probably has something to say about that.

6. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

no they dont let u lose on a dump.u have to take something there and then scavange around, i prefer to load rocks up in the back of my dads truck, then we go out and then we look for stuff we want!! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2005