1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiving CRC Errors While Ripping The Last Samurai

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jkd_ba, May 11, 2004.

1. jkd_ba

jkd_ba Member

I'm new to the DVD world and I've learned soo much from your forum and want to say thanks.

In backing-up my purchased DVD collection I've been successfull in all my "rips" except for "The Last Samurai". Bypassed this DVD and went onto further successfull "rips". Problem doesn't appear to be my software or hardware otherwise I wouldn't be able to "rip" the others.

The DVD plays fine but whether I use "DVD Shrink" or "DVD Decrypter", I get the same error about 15% of the way through both applics. alluding to "CRC Errors" (DVD Shrink) or "unrecovered read error" (DVD Decrypter) while extracting sectors. Anyone have a clue as to what may be occurring here?

Software;
    W2Ksp4 - latest ASPI layer (4.71a2)
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero 6 UltraSuite(v6.3.1.10)

Hardware;
    NEC ND-2500a (v1.06)

Your insights would be greatly appreciated,
    jkd_ba

2. michigan

michigan Guest

CRC errors are almost always a damaged (in some way) disc. It may not be a scratch. I had one that looked like a water mark on the disc. It played fine but I could not "rip" it. I exchanged it for a new disc (it was damaged after all) the new one went perfect.

3. jkd_ba

jkd_ba Member

Thanks michigan for the FYI.

Scratches were the 1st thing I checked and the disk appears to be pristine (not even a fingerprint).

Appreciate the reply,

jkd_ba

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I was able to back up my Last Samuarai movie. jkd_ba are you creating an iso image file with shrink, then using decrypter to burn? that is the process i used and use on all burns, works perfect for me.

5. john179

john179 Active member

This is a damaged disc your film will play fine but will not rip.Try a dvd rescue software to solve this.This has happened to me sevral times and this is probably your best approach to this problem.

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

jkd_ba if your disc is damage, exchange it for a new one. The Last Samuarai just came out 5 days ago. Then you will know if it is the disc.

7. jkd_ba

jkd_ba Member

Thank you all for your replies.

Discovered thru the use of a different "Last Samurai" DVD that my DVD, though it looked pristine clean, was obviously damaged because this one ripped fine.

Thanks to all for their heads-up regarding "CRC's" and damaged disks.

Take Care,

jkd_ba

8. michigan

michigan Guest

No problem, but come on back and contribute when you can.

9. daba

daba Guest

@ john179:

Could you recommend some DVD rescue softwares ?

Thanks.

Daba