1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiving spam via my contact form

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ZebUK, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

On my website I've got a basica "contact me" form - nothing unusual. It saves me having to display my email address on the page therefore preventing the bots from using and abusing it.

Well, recently I've started to receive a large amount fo spam using my form!!!

I've managed to read the originating IP and not the spoofed/proxy IP and have looked them up. Most are originating from the Czech Republic.

How "wrong" or illegal would it be if I was to modify my script so that when it detected a specific IP it would send the email to their ISP's abuse email not once but 90 times each time I get spammed?

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I feel your pain. It seems to me that reporting once per offensive message would be justified. Reporting 90x would put you into the ranks of an abuser; no better than the other guy. Is that what you really want?

3. azzidrain

azzidrain Regular member

Why not set up a better (if you have one) CAPTCHA system so you don't have to worry about auto submissions...which I'm guessing that's what it is...since I'm under the impression that people should not have the time to sit there and send 90 emails to 1 person...