1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reciever overload

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by kinza, Mar 13, 2005.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

for some reason my reciever is now constantly saying overload whenever i turn it on. i removed all the speakers hooked up to it and plugged it into the outlet and it still says overload. it should be working fine. any ideas?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Does the maual cover what this means? What other symptoms have you noticed?

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

The manual said the speakers impedance is too high, but it really isn't. The receiver isn't working at all. Everytime I turn it on it just says overload and to turn it off.

4. RCCola

RCCola Member

I own a Onyko 500 and had that exact problem. I would turn it on and click - overload circuit would turn it off. I did the same thing you did to check out my system when it happened. I removed all the wires and plugged it in and same thing. I was lucky and it was still under warrenty. Sent it in and one of the channels was fried. They replaced and works like a champ again. Good Luck - Toot Toot

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

that really helps! sadly the warranty coverage is over. i might get it repaired from an electrician or someone like that. is that a good idea.

6. kinza

kinza Regular member

i do know that one of the channels is fried but am not sure which one. back in the day when it used to work there would be a clicking sound everytime i turned it on.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Make sure the repairs are done by someone who knows wtf they're doing. Hopefully you wont be charged an arm and a leg. Good luck.

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

i think the overload problem is common with the brand of receiver i have. i was reading on another model of the same company and someone said to fix the overload problem you should change the thermal paste between the power moduals and the heatsink. i think ill try this before i go to get it repaired. is this a good idea?

9. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

better get a free estimate first...don't wana pay $250 dollars to fix an outdated reciever. Might as well buy a new one with all the features and better reliability.

Sorry for your loss....

10. saea501

saea501 Member

Change the thermal past???? That is absolutely comical. That's kind of like changing the air in your tires will give your car more horsepower. This receiver has a problem. Take it to an autorized repair facility and have it fixed, or buy a new one.