1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recognizing the format

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jahaca, Nov 29, 2003.

1. jahaca

jahaca Member

When I went on vacation , my friend bought me this standalone VCD player. Now that I am back in canada, and since VCD's are rare here, i decided to get my vcds from kazaa.

my vcd player can play both VCD and SVCD

but i hav a question

how do i recognize a vcd format
    iam downloading a file from kazaa. and it has the extension .MPEG
    is that a vcd or svcd format...
    do i hav to go through the process of converting it to vcd, or can i just use the burn vcd option in easy cd creator...
    please help me thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Em, well you have to realise exactly what VCD is, its Video CD. So files you download arent gonna be "VCD". But what you can get are cd-images of VCD's (which are basically just whole cd's in usually one file).

Now there are VCD Encoded files (files that are MPEG-1 352x288 25fps, 44100hz 224kb/s for PAL and MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps or 23.97fps, 44100hz 224kb/s for NTSC). If you dont understand what any of that means dont worry about it lol. There are programs that will tell you all this information on files, but I just use TMPGEnc, click File - MPEG Tools and click the Multiplex tab, load in the file and there's your info. There are many easier ways but im just like that (for example, i think in windows xp, just right click the file and click properties and its under one of the tabs).

You should read up a bit now. Before trying to download VCD's try copying your own DVD to VCD or something it will give you the idea of what you will be looking for. Check out the following

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary

Any more questions, just ask :)

3. jahaca

jahaca Member

So basically, when I get the information from TMPGEnc and it fits as a video cd, i can create an output file and then burn it...

or do i hav to go through the steps of converting the file to a video cd?
    thanks for the articles...when i hav the time i will read them...

jawad