1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend MP3 player

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by ckamk1995, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ckamk1995

ckamk1995 Member

Hello all, I am looking to buy an mp3 player and looking to see which one is good. Not looking for top of the line or even the worst but something in the middle. Something that i can download music from my computer onto and be able to take it with me while running or walking. Thanks, christine

2. shaungora

shaungora Member

i would recommend the Creative Zen Micro, £150 (UK Sterling) but can get alot cheaper if browsing the interent or just go to eBay. They are easy to use, sleek, fashionable, and they have a few differnt choices for memory (4GB, 5GB, 6GB).
    Otherwise, i would say the iPod Nano, 2GB £139 or 4GB £179, these are probably the most popular and easiest to use, but i don't think they are a great value for money, as they scrath relatively easy and are quite expensive for the size of them (memory).

Hope this helps,

~Shaun~

3. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

as long as you dont get an ipod ;P

if your looking for a standard issue mp3 player go for one of these.

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MP-U1024FM

theyre small, cheap and pretty good too. i bought a 512 meg one last year for the same price as that one gig one (they came down in price after i bought one typically) plus you can put most music formats on there and it will play files whether therye write protected or not (unlike the ipod)

edit (this only of use to you if your in the UK)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2006
  4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

there's also the Creative Zen Jukebox Nomad....i have a 60 gig that was delivered to my door for less than off of creative's own site from www. newegg.com, and i thought that was great. $285 US is what it ran me, but there's also a less expensive 40 gig that is also a gem.

5. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

ipod

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum.

i bought the Cretive Zen Touch 20GB, one of the best gadgets i ever bought (as long as the hard drive keeps going strong!)

7. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Sure it isn't a hampster in a wheel, Creaky? :)

8. shaungora

shaungora Member

lol @ weazel

9. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Lol, that was a bit of a wisecrack, weasel :p

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

lol. i paid like £150 for this player, and it tooks blumming ages to get all the tunes on there. i wanted to wait 'til players had mahoosive solid state storage instead of standard/standard-ish hard drives (with hamsters!!) as they break too easily if you don't treat them well, but was in major need of something that could store 100s of albums. but you can only buy something like a paltry 1GB in solid state players, pah. the 20GB in the Zen Touch is far too little as it is..if i'd have waited a little longer they brought out the 40GB version. typical :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  11. DakotaFan

DakotaFan Regular member

Auslander, I have that same MP3 player, only mine is the 40GB model. I can easily fit at least 10,000 songs on it (all tracks encoded at 128 kbps). 128 kbps is perfect for portable music. Anything above that is a waste of space, IMO.
    Do you use the EAX audio function? I do. I have the setting at Smart Volume and the preset at Match Volume. Smart Volume adjusts the playback volume of all tracks so they remain at the same level without reaching for the volume control between songs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  12. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

I recommend VBR MP3 files. They are by far the best sound wise and take up less space than the average 192 CBR file. Also if you hook up an MP3 player to a good system and play a file which is encoded at 128 kBps you can notice the quality is bad.

13. DakotaFan

DakotaFan Regular member

I don't like VBR MP3 files on my MP3 player because I can't notice a difference in the quality. I do notice the track time, though. With a VBR MP3 file on my MP3 player, the track time never matches what it is supposed to be and it's different every time I play the file. I've never hooked up my MP3 player to a good stereo system, nor do i plan on it. It's a portable jukebox to me. If I want to listen to music on my awesome stereo system, I'll put on a CD.

14. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Each to their own

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

DakotaFan: have it all and use it all ;-) the creative is full of wonderful features and is one of the best buys for the cash, in my opinion.

as for encoding, i rip using the Windows Media Player Lossless VBRm to store all my files on my compie, and when i feel like going mobile i simply sync with WMP. some people may think that double-ecoding like that is bad or that the quality will be low or whatever, but i'm very happy with it. the music quality rivals that of the normal cd (at least to my ear), and usually things that are normally subtle are a bit amplified, adding a new, more whole and encompassing sound to the music.

16. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Not to blow anyone's horn but Exact Audio Copy is the best program to rip cd's into VBR MP3's. Just visit the audio section to learn more.

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if i ripped to mp3s, i would try it; but for reasons of my own inferiority, lol, i rip to wma :D

18. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

What inferiority would that be Auslander?

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*shrugs* just making up a reason for choosing a less common format that is often considered less worthwhile than the mp3 :)

20. shaungora

shaungora Member

valid point o_O