1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommend please

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MRSIRCOOK, Apr 28, 2005.

1. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

im looking for a router that shares files. i allready have a cable/dsl router on my system, and a hub, but the hub always kicks out on me. i have 4 nic cards between 2 comps (2 each), im looking for a router maybe just to handle the transferring of my files, can anyone recommend anything...holla back

2. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why have 2 net cards in each computer??

4. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

one dedicated to internet, the other to transferring files

5. ddp

if both computers hooked to router than only need 1 netcard each as both can see each other

6. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

how would i configure the two empty nic cards, to recognize the two comps, if i move the hub, and just connect the rj45 cables between the both comps

7. ddp

how do you have both computers hooked to the net as i have both of mine thru a hub than a 1 port router before going into the cable modem. i just have to setup for file sharing on both computer in network neighborhood to share files. i'm using 1 net card each & done the same for about 6 systems

8. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

i have a 4 port router, 1 port for each comp and one for when i use my xbox or ps2 online, the other open port is for when im fixing comps for people, i can just goonline and download much needed tools, i have 2 network cards in each comp, one dedicated to internet, the other deicated to transferring files...does that explain everything for you

9. ddp

ok, you don't need the extra net card in each computer currently used to share info between each other as the cards that go onto the net can do the same thing as i've done before. you just set up the 2 internet cards the same as you have done with the sharing cards than can take out those extra cards