1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommendations of distro/

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Hardball, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

I have a older computer (dell dimension 4100) which currently has 512mb of RAM, 40GB HDD, it also has a 1.1 Ghz Pentium processor. Are there any recommendations for a distribution that will take advantage of this hardware, without using majority of its resources? Windoze is not one of my options but, I will resort to it if needed. The usage for this computer is for someone who isn't experienced with linux. I am open to try different types of distributions, so there isn't any preference of package. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

debian.. (NOT ubuntu.. too heavy and bloated) should work out of the box.. squeeze disk 1.. think the netinstall is still broken

install full desktop first to see what happens.. just accept defaults first time.. it asks a few questions along the way.. if you don't know the answers don't worry.. the defaults are usually just fine.. i386 version you need ;) once you get the hang of it you can custom build from a core system adding only the bits you want.

welcome to the darkside.. I never bother about adding proprietary drivers if needed.. it should work very well.. deb will run acceptably on 128 ram.. 64 is a minimum.. but only because of new browser requirements making 32 non viable

you don't need to be "familiar" with linux.. it's just a little different.. 90% works in a similar way except it doesn't clutter everything to the desktop.. and things like config files go to sensible places per user.. wait and see.. it's so much easier... and the REAL beauty?.. you can turn it off and it comes back on just how you left it...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. ZeeBang

ZeeBang Member

I would personally try Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux with such a weak processor. Damn Small might work better for you since it can be pretty user friendly if the person using it is comfortable with windows.

4. DarkEly

DarkEly Member

I would recommend Linux #! - intended for minimalist users like me :)