1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Travail, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Travail

Travail Member

I've been using PNY CD-Rs (CMC Magnetics, Dye (Short Strategy)) with my LG-8160B writer. I've been re-reading some of the older CDs for a programming project, and quite a few have had errors reading. Out of the 80 I tried, 6 definitely need to be replaced, and another 6 are questionable.

Money is very tight for me, and I don't want to pick up another batch of discounted CD-Rs and have the same problem. I don't need high speed media, since my drive is only 16x, but I do want decent reliability.

From reading older posts, that eliminates Imation and Hival. What kind of experiences have you had with Memorex, Fuji, etc? (I haven't seen Acers on sale recently :(

2. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

With that burner, I hereby say that thou shalt use discs from:
    - Ritek (TDK, newer Maxell, some Memorex)
    - Taiyo Yuden (Fujis, Basf CERAM GUARD, many others)
    - Prodisc (Some Memorex, Intenso, Smart Buy)
    - SKC (SKC, older Discrite blues)
    - Mitsui (Mitsui, others)

And a lot of other brands/manufacturers...

HP Branded discs are fine if found cheap... They are TY or Mitsui generally...
    But thou must expurge the evil of CMC from thine life forever...
    And STAY AWAY from Sonys...
    (Or at least until you change burners, for then it might work just fine)
    CMC = Samsung in Americas, the two brands you cited, some MMore, and some others.

This isn't a picky burner, it just doesn't like Sonys or CMCs...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2002
  3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

HP has been mostly Ricoh for quite some time here in Finland. Haven't seen a T.Y. or Mitsui in ages. MMore is also shipping 4M discs now.
    Stay away from CMC media - Imation is the most popular CMC brand around where I live.

1) Look for good offers on 12-16x media. There are plenty around as stocks are cleared from slow media.

2) Look for Kodak specials - Kodak has ended their CD-R manufacturing and there has been some good offers around.

3) Ritek provides excellent/good quality and typically with a fair price. Sold as TraxData, but also Maxell, TDK (some) and many others.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2002
  4. Travail

Travail Member

Thanks for your help!!