1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended DVD Writter

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by CCEncoder, Aug 20, 2004.

1. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

I would like to spend money on a NEW RETAIL dvd writter, I heard sony are the best ones, but then what model? I heard DRU-510A was the best of all but it seems a little old besides there are more expensive ones so please be advisable I won't double post, and money is not an issue even if it cost 100,000 dolares americanos.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

It depends on your needs. Sony's are a decent make but in my opinion and experience Pioneer and Plextor outclass them in terms of quality and performance.

If you want a DL burner, the newly introduced Pioneer 108 gets my highest recommendation. It also supports 4X DL burning.

For SL burners I feel the absolute best out there is the Plextor PX-712A. I've owned a Plextor PX-708A (the model before the 712) for some time now and it is hands down the best drive I've ever used. It's extremely well built, quiet and has the performance to back it up. I feed my drive quality media and have never had a bad burn attributable to the drive :)

3. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

Great advice thanks, what I don't know what is SL and DL, also what needs? dvd backups to play it on DVD desktops, ps2, xbox backups, home made edited movies. Full compatibility with most dvd players for home and good speed, performance, everything else.

4. 2005

2005 Regular member

well single layre dvds are 4.38 gb and dl is 8.5 gb, i like the NEC drives as for the money they have very good performance/quality.

5. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

I heard that if Plextor doesn't make DL drives yet then it means DL is not to be trusted still, until the technology develops further? so then I'm staying with SL for a while until DL stablishes itself, so I think I'm getting a Pionner 106, and forget about the SONY which will cause problems. I hope this sound reasonable to everybody. As for the Media the SL media g04 from ritek should be perfect as I learn, G05 is DL and it'll be used for the future thanks. This is a greeat forum. I should donate.

6. 2005

2005 Regular member

Well i would take it to mean that plextor hasnt got it perfected the way they want it yet :) is all

7. Nephilim

My sentiments as well :)

8. Nephilim

While quite flattering to Plextor it's not really true. As 2005 said, they take their time and do it right. The technology is still new and relatively untested but the limited reports have been good.

The Ritek G04 is superb media and my advice would be to stick with the RiDATA branded media. There's a whole slew of Riteks out there and some aren't the grade A quality that the seller promises. Outfits like http://www.newegg.com/ and http://www.rima.com/ are my favorite places to get RiDATA.

Ritek G05 is single layer media but it's rated for 8X burn speeds as opposed to the 4X rating for the G04 media :)