1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

record DTS surround sound onto DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by burninmad, Jan 27, 2009.

1. burninmad

burninmad Member

Got a Directv DVR and Panasonic DMREZ37V DVDR.Also connected to Sony STRDG500 Audio Video control center receiver via Optical cables.I don't have enough outputs to go direct from DVR to DVDR though.Maybe thats why I can't get that DTS "Blue light",on my playback of "burned" DVDs?The Blue Light(DTS)shows when I play commercial DVDs ,but not my burned DVDS.Anyone Help? Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. JVC

JVC Active member

If you're burning movies from the tv, to a dvd recorder, you're not going to get DTS, because the recorder doesn't have digital audio inputs. Movies on tv aren't broadcast in DTS either (none that I've ever seen or heard of). Only a few are broadcast in Dolby Digital.
    It's easy though, if you're doing it on a computer's dvd burner, and making a copy of a dvd.

4. burninmad

burninmad Member

Thanks for my oversight! I don't have a Optical input on my Panasonic DMREZ37V DVDR/VCR and have it connected to a Sony STR-DG500.When I play some movies on Premium channels,I get a Blue Light(Multi-Channel decoding lamp).According to Directv,the secondary Audio programs are supposed to show up on the taskbaras a light or dark,"speaker icon).When I play my commercial,newer DVDs,it lights up fine. Sometimes a Premium program will,but not always.Like you say ,mostly only Dolby Digital 2.0.My receiver is a Multi Channel AV Receiver.There is mention in the Sony manual to hook up Video through the receiver.Will this then record ,say ,DTS?Thank you

5. JVC

JVC Active member

The only way to record DTS is to make a backup copy of a dvd, on your computer.

No matter what you do, you won't record DTS on a dvd recorder. The recorder doesn't have digital audio inputs, and no tv programs are broadcast in DTS................

6. burninmad

burninmad Member

Thank you for your help.I was wondering why they always advertise,the DTS logo on my Premium channel movies,but not able to view them ,in the DTS mode.Although ,I have seen the Multi-channel decoding lamp on(Blue Light) on my DG500STR Sony A/V receiver?ot through the Panny,but when viewing only.Thanks again

7. JVC

JVC Active member

The Multi-channel decoding lamp, as you call it, should also work with dolby digital 5.1 surround. You can probably get that from your tv (cable box). Actually, I think that light comes on if you're receiving a digital signal. So, it may light up for dolby digital 2.0 also. Dolby digital covers a lot of signals.

I've seen the DTS logo in the movie's credits also, even on dvd, when there's no DTS soundtrack on it. It may have been played in DTS at the theater.........

8. burninmad

burninmad Member

I have Directv/DVR box.My Sony A/V Multi-Challel receiver shows on the display:Dolby Digital 2/0 ,unless the Blue Light,DTS comes on with commercial DVDs.Thanks JVC