1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording at the end of a dvd file

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by rbennett1, Jan 19, 2007.

1. rbennett1

rbennett1 Member

Here's my scenario.
    We have a child safety education video on vhs that we record children on at the end to ensure repeat viewing. We are now exploring the options to move to dvd but have stumbled and hit a road block. We have our vhs now converted to video ts files bup...etc the whole shhhbang! I need to figure out a way once i put my education dvd on a dvd+/-rw .... to take a dvd camcorder and record at the < End > of the video so kids cant just watch themselves with out getting the safety information. All thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Heck even if you dont have an answer and want to comment go ahead :)

This is for our kids so i hope you can help!

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I'm not sure if I understand 100% what you want, but once you have converted your material to a DVD structure ("video ts files bup...etc" as you call it) it is very difficult to make any changes to it anymore.
    The memnu and the way the DVD will behave in a DVD player is determind by the process that creates this structure, i.e. the DVD authoring process. Depending on how complicated the structure is you can either take a relative simple DVD authoring program (e.g. the one that is include in Nero or any other DVD autoring program in the $30-$50 range) or you will have to go to one of the more sophisticated ones like DVDlab.

3. rbennett1

rbennett1 Member

Well, I am not sure you did quite get the concept of what i want to do because i wasnt clear enough:

The dvd has no menu on it, just goes automatically into the movie. The movie was edited in Final Cut Pro into the Video_TS and all it's associated files to be able to be put on Nero and burned to DVD.

Then once thousands of copies are made. We take those dvd/rw and go to an event location and put each dvd/rw into the dvd camcorder seperately per kid. We then interview the children at the end of the DVD that was originally burned on Nero. So the sequence would go;

1) Burn DVD/RW > 2) Put Burned DVD/RW into dvd camcorder > 3) record on end of dvd/rw if possible or if how dvd camcorder works...it seperates into two different chapters/segments.

Is this even possible? Thank you so much for your reply from above :)

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

OK, understood.
    No, AFAIK this is not possible. If you create a DVD like that, you can not use it anymore in a DVD camcorder. It will only accept DVD's that are not "finalized".

5. rbennett1

rbennett1 Member

Thank you :) Well I hope things do change in the near future because having something digitally go to a laptop or somethign is very ineffecient and expensive. Especially if you have to burn each child at the end of the video via laptop...we are talkign 10 minutes a kid when it only takes us instantly to re-record on to a vhs. Thanks for your response, it makes 100% sense to me, never thoguht about the finalization on nero.