1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording from copyright dvd to dvd-r with a stand alone

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by kempo, Apr 19, 2003.

1. kempo

kempo Member

hi. i am new here. i have phillips dvd recorder that hooks up to the tv(stand alone?) i tried to recored from pre recorded dvds, but it tells me that it has a copyright. is there anything i can do to get passed it? also same question with a vhs. it is pre recorded, but it tells me i cant copy it. i would appreciate any thoughts. thanks

2. jsnkc28

jsnkc28 Member

Ummmm, ever heard of copyright laws?? I believe what you are trying to do is very illegal, so no, I can't help you. Even thought yes, it can be done.

3. kempo

kempo Member

well, i know i am not supposed to do it. i am not going to sell them. they are instuctional videos i borrowed from a friend. i would like to make a copy for myself and hand them back to him. so if any one can help me, i would apperciate it.

4. barkeep

barkeep Guest

It is just as illegal to make a copy and give it away as it is if you sell it. The point is that only the person who purchased the DVD should have copies of it.

Sites like this need to be careful about giving advice on copying DVDs. They could get in trouble and shut down if it can be shown that they were fascilitating people stealing/pirating DVDs.

So, any of the advice given in these forums should be for the purpose of making backups or copies of DVDs that you own, for your own use, or for hypothetical situations.

So, users of the forum need to be careful how they ask their questions. If they ask the question in such a way that makes it obvious they are making illegal copies, then they will probably not get help.

We're not trying to be dicks, just trying to protect the site.

5. kempo

kempo Member

i understand where you guys are coming from. i will be a little bit more aware of how i frase things.

6. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

OK, lets *say* you wanted to back up a DVD with copyright protection and you simply wanted to protect your right to that media that you purchased.

If that was the case, what we would recommend you to do, if to read through the guides in this site, but basically to 'rip' the files from the original (decrypt, or remove copy protection) 'author' the files (process them to fit on single DVDR, or process the IFO/VOB to fit on two DVDRs), then 'Burn' it (write it to a blank DVD)

There you go, Robert's your father's brother.

Paul.

7. jsnkc28

jsnkc28 Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2003
  8. jsnkc28

jsnkc28 Member

Well, just play the DVD in your player and run it into a VCR, then run from the VCR into the standalone deck, and hit record on that deck...it isn't brain surgery!!