1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from my xbox

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by snwborder, Apr 29, 2005.

1. snwborder

snwborder Member

What program and settings should I use for recording from my xbox through my hauppauge 250? I am currently using Windows Movie Maker, but the quality is garbage.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I use ATI's All in Wonder card for captureing Excellent quality,copies right to DVD compliant Mpeg,then use TMPG DVD16 to convert & burn to DVD.If u need to Edit out any commercials on your TV program use MPEG vcr excellent little program,but a memory hog so don't do anything else while it's converting,just take a few mins

3. snwborder

snwborder Member

Wow, I said this was for recording from xbox, not tv. This is not going on a dvd so I don't need it in that format.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

The key word was recording!!..The ATI all in Wonder,is for recording..it has inputs & out puts.it records in MPEG2 format so u can watch it on anything u want,Computer,TV etc..I have the outputs on my compute hooked to my TV so I can see a larger picture..if i like what i see then i can make a DVD & save it if i want too..or delete it..The resulting play back file is excellent quality..both on computer & TV
    The hauppauge 250 does the same thing,but I've heard the MPEG2 files look like crap,I'm not real familiar w/this card other then what I've read..
    Remember one thing I'm only trying to help..Your question was... What program and settings should I use for recording...My answer was ATI & MPEG2..you need to be a little more explicit..what exactly are u recording it for,what u are recording is it a dedicated DVD or a copy,etc lots of different answers & way.If it is a dedicated DVD you'll never get it on your computer w/just a TV card...If you are just wanting to put it on your computer for viewing,their are a lot of better & faster way of doing this

5. snwborder

snwborder Member

Yes, this footage from my xbox will be not used for DVDs, but for viewing on the computer and putting on a server for others to download.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

What are u trying to save it as? DIVX,AVI,MPEG1,MPEG2
    DIVX seems to be the favorite for shareing over the net.It compresses in MPEG4 format.You should have different settings in your program to do this & reset the quality u want.Settings around 700megbytes should give u quality on a average movie,& will fit on 1 CD for saving.If what you are captureing is in MPEG2,which is standard video.And u are captureing at the highest quality u can & your video is still crappy.Then I would have to say its the fault of Windows Movie Maker.Hauppauge 250 should be a pretty good captureing unit,how does your captured video look before u try to convert it.You should'nt need Windows Movie Maker for captureing,your TV card should have come with the ability to capture. Try a different program,check around on the homepage here at Afterdawn you'll find a lot of Mpeg2Avi,DVD2Avi,these make excellent copies.I hope I'm helping instead of confuseing u,hope I'm on the right track with your problem

7. snwborder

snwborder Member

My situation is this:
    -My xbox hoked up to my capture card to record footage
    -The footage will be edited and put on the internet for others to view
    -What software should I use to capture and edit and with what settings?
    -And I plan on trying to get the software off limewire if I can get it from there

Thanks

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

1-My xbox hoked up to my capture card to record footage..your hauppauge 250..Does'nt it have capture abilities?(Record)is this where your video looks crappy?
    2-The footage will be edited and put on the internet for others to
    view..I use MpegVCR to edit out what I don't want
    3--What software should I use to capture and edit and with what settings?..Your hauppauge 250 should capture in Mpeg format set at highest quality,MpegVCR to edit-does not need settings as it only deletes what u don't want
    4-And I plan on trying to get the software off limewire if I can get it from there..You don't say in what format u want to save it in,Mpeg,DivX,AVI..these are the extensions on your files Example(MYHOMEMOVIES.MPEG or MYHOMEMOVIES.XVID or MYHOMEMOVIES.AVI)..So it depends on how u want to save your footage,you don't have to buy any software..As most of what u need for any type of Video format is free on the net

VCR,CamCORDER,TV etc I've captured..useing TV card, saved as->(MYHOMEMOVIE.MPEG)My settings are MPEG-2:..VIDEO 720x480 NTSC 8.00M bites per sec..Audio 48.000KHz,16Bit,Stero (capture high Resolution)
    Then I use MpegVCR to (CUT)edit out any scenes I don't want(free on the net)to try.Now u can stop here after Editing,you will have an Mpeg file that can be played on any computer.Or u can go one step more & create a DVD that will play on comp. or TV
    I use TMPGEnc DVD 1.6...I import my mpeg file,I create chapters,then I create a DVD..These are setup in a different file with a different extension...(MYHOMEVIDEO->As the Main folder,with a SUB folder VIDEO_TS,inside the VIDEO_TS you will have files known as ISO's these are files that will reconize that this is a Video,..Then u will have the Video files VTS_01_01,VTS_01_02 etc.Now u have a Video that will play & save on your Computer,& play on DVD players

-My xbox hoked up to my capture card to record footage
    -The footage will be edited and put on the internet for others to view
    -What software should I use to capture and edit and with what settings?
    -And I plan on trying to get the software off limewire if I can get it from there

9. snwborder

snwborder Member

I am sorry if it is my understanding, but what is the name of a program I can use to capture and edit. And when I say edit I mean effects such as slow-mo, etc. I was asking about what format to save it in for the best quality and decent size.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well here again..You say..I was asking about what format to save it in for the best quality and decent size.Divx,Xvid,AVI..Are all very good quality & small,you can put a 2 hr video on one CD (not DVD).But not everybody knows about all these different types of videos.Video tapes are different then DVD's,but average Joe just knows put it in & press play.Well it's the same on the the computer,put it in & play.DivX,AVI,Xvid,all require a different set of Codecs that ea.computer has to have to play.Mpeg video just needs a CD drive,& DVD compliant VOB's,will be standard on all computers,that have a DVD drive/w some sort of DVD player program(again almost standard on todays Computers)Power DVD,Windows Media player etc..You almost can't buy a computer today without a DVD Drive,& almost every house in America has a DVD Player,or soon will as they are phaseing out VHS.So my suggestion is to stick with the standard DVD format(VOB),so all can enjoy...I'm pretty sure you check here and take a look at a lot of different software
    http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=video+editing+software.
    But I've also check around a long while ago & found that most of the softwares for adding slow motion etc...were in the hundreds of $..So I just decided to let Power DVD on the computer,& my regular DVD player do this crap for me.But Ulead, & Pinnacle might come close to what u are looking for not the cheap sets 100.00 150.00..But the more expensive..The more u pay the more u get
    WELL Gotta go I've got to Edit out the comercials on Revealations Pt 3 & use the slow motion on My DVD player for those really have to see in slow motion Scenes...Just kidding
    Todays technology is quite different the yester years,hit pause on your VCR,hit pause on your DVD...QUITE a difference

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2005
  11. snwborder

snwborder Member

I am not going to use this for DVDs, I will send it to people over the internet and put it on my friends server. What is the advantage of AVI over MPEG 2 or vice versa.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

What is the advantage of AVI over MPEG 2 or vice versa.
    AVI= 0.80 GIG..About 5 1/2 times smaller..for about 1hr 30 min Video..With excellent quality
    Mpeg2= 4.36 GIG for the same..With excellent quality
    So the advantage is Upload/Download time,for the difference AVI only takes Hrs to Download maybe 3to 7 hrs....Mpeg could take anywhere 1to 8 days
    And like I said earlier not everybody is set-up with the AVI codecs,so maybe you can download it but u won't be able to watch it
    Are u absorbing anything in these chats...we seem to be going over the same thing again & again..The question u just asked was answered in a previous post

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005