1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording streaming audia from Winamp

Discussion in 'Audio' started by magikman, Dec 10, 2004.

1. magikman

magikman Member

How can I record streaming audio from winamp. I have a Cd writer installed on my comp.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

If you want to record the sound and not download it then you could use the Analog Method. I can show you how to use Jet Audio to record to your hard drive.

Link to diabolos's Jet Audio Guide:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125931

Instead of Line-In you will be using the Wave-Out Mix feature to record from the external player, WinAmp.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them,
    Ced

3. Veblin

Veblin Active member

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Veblin!

I was hoping you would read this thread since you seem to be the expert on streaming media around here. Why do you recommend those programs over the others on the list? StreamRipper is pretty sweet and easy to use.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2004
  5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Downloading is usually always preferable to audio recording, when possible. Audio recording always causes some distortion in the digital to analog and analog to digital conversion.

[bold]diabolos[/bold]
    Those programs are recommended, I guess, because they are ones I have used and know how to use. The list is quite out of date, and there are probably many more programs that should be listed. The Streamripper WinAmp plugin is the original and would work very well in this case.

6. magikman

magikman Member

Ok. thanks for the info, but for some reason, winamp will not let me record the streaming audio, even when i select the Null-Soft disk writer plug-in as the out put. Do I need to select a different in? If so I have Quite a few that came with the Win-amp maybe a stream ripper or something.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Which version of winamp are you using? I used the StreamRipper plugin-in for winamp 2/5 (that Veblin suggested) and it worked flawlessly.

1) Install plug-in

2) Start WinAmp

4) Select a radio station (through WinAmp)

5) Press the start button on the plug-in

That's it. It makes a file of the audio that is playing (encluding an ID tag with title and artist info). It also stops and starts new tracks automaticly!

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2004
  8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

9. magikman

magikman Member

ok, i got the plug in installed, but my thinger, thats where its supposed to be right?, well the thinger is gone and i cant find it , so i uninstalled winamp and reinstalled, i guess i got the latest version, v5? Still not there. But if i got this right, one we get that fixed, dont i just turn on the disk writer plugin as an output?

10. Veblin

Veblin Active member

No. Just follow the instructions above.

11. magikman

magikman Member

so i did that, but i dont see any file save windows, nothing, ive searched to no avail.Someone, please help me is it the winamp version that im using? or have i not installed the ripper right, but when i click on the exe file it says that its already installed. Then i just turn on winamp and still nothing happens.PLease help.
    -John

12. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Options > Preferences > Plug-ins >

Output > Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in > Configure.
    Un-check all boxes > OK.

Output > DirectSound output > Configure.
    Reset all > Apply > OK.

General Purpose > Streamripper for Winamp > Configure selected plug-in.
    Check Enable Streamripper > OK.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004