1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RECORDING VCD TO VHS

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by kingsize, Nov 2, 2001.

1. kingsize

kingsize Guest

Ok Guys, I am fairly new to all this. I have a Pioneer DV-636D and although I might rip DVDs in the future, My main aim is Being able to Make MPEG-1's(VCD) from my stack of 50 avi films/friends episodes and then play them on my DVD player and then RECORD them to VHS for my cheap mates that dont have DVD.
    Anyway I can just about Convert avi to mpeg using TMPGE no probs there and if i catch easy cd creator 5 on a good day, I can even Burn to VCD which is all good. The main problem starts when I try and record VCD to VHS thru my dvd player-WHEN YOU PLAY THE VIDEO BACK YOU GET LINES RUNNING DOWN THE SCREEN WHICH LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN PUT THERE ON PURPOSE.(DVD's RECORD TO VHS FINE)But these bloddy VCD's are killing me here.
    I have tried everything I can think of, converting to avi and back to mpeg and then doing the whole game again but it aint working, pls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    andy

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Your DVD player is the problem, not the VCD. For some weird reason it adds something to the signal that's not supposed to be there. Maybe your VCDs are in different video format and your VCR can't handle that one (PAL/NTSC)?

3. kingsize

kingsize Guest

I know about the PAL NTSC Problem i.e playing a NTSC film to PAL and visa vresa but My dvd is dual band.....(shit just thought my dvd might be dual band but my video is deffo pal), hmmm wondering if the avi's that i am converting are being converted to ntsc mpeg) hmmmmm/......

4. kingsize

kingsize Guest

sorry drd, didnt see your responce there, jeez that was quick, emm, do you think it is worth my while trying the convertion again to mpeg1 again making sure it is pal

5. dRD

You can try it, although the conversion to a "wrong" format (other than the source format) normally causes horrible issues with the picture quality, sync, etc.. But by doing that you at least can make sure if that's the problem.

6. kingsize

kingsize Guest

sorry to be a pest but heres what i have learned so far, My vid might be the prob if it is recording and quite happy in its little "PAL" world and I decide to give it "NTSC" ok. now If I was going to convert what app would I use and 2, any sence in trying a newer video to see if it supports NTSC.
    By the way really appricate your help, I was loosing sleep

7. xfactordx

xfactordx Guest

king, could you please email and tell me how to setup a dvd player to convert vcd's to vhs? email: xfactordxms@home.com thx

8. jvp

jvp Guest

I am using Power VCR to convert my VHS PAL videos to MPEG or AVI files. Using Ulead editing suit is used to edit these file. The problem is how do I convert the MPEG or AVI files back to VHS PAL? Every internet site do convesion to from VHS to digital but I did not find any doing to revers. Do you know prehaps of any sites?

9. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

jpv, I think this really depends on your video card and capture equipment, but a mate of mine uses Matrox G450 dual-head which has a TV-out (I think it was a composite out) on the second VGA output port. During VCD playback with MS media player the TV-out goes full-screen, and from what I saw was not bad in quality. A cheap scan-converter. Cards like Canopus DVStorm will output DV+analog from the editor timeline.

10. Kat91119

Kat91119 Guest

Hi - I'm a newbie, but have been making VCDs for 6 months or more now.

My friend wants a copy of something I have on VCD, however, I have no idea how to go about doing this. I figure its the same as VHS to VHS, but I could be wrong.

How do I go about doing this?

One thing to keep in mind. I don't know what its called, but I have this big black box which my VCR & DVD player are connected to - will I have to unplug them from this box, and then replug them into each other?

I pretty much need step by step instructions, if possible.

My dvd player is a Pioneer DV-414

Thanks,
    Kat

11. dRD

Kat91119: Yeah, basically you just plug your cables to DVD's video and audio output jacks and same cable to your VCR's video and audio in plugs and that's it.

12. mattjds

mattjds Guest

HElP :(...I have a load of CD's with MPEG movies on them which i watch in windows media player, so one day i thought id try and conect my S-Video output to the scart socket on my VCR to try and record these films to VHS, when i conected it al up i could watch the films on my TV fine (by the way the S-Video to Scart conection was made by myself) when i tried to record the output from my PC onto VHS and play it back it came out in black and white and looked like it was flashing on and off, i just thought this was macrovision or something but then i thought it cant really be that..erm can it ? anyway please can someone help me out before i start hitting myself over the head with my PC...About my S-Video to Scart conection well i found a diagram on the net showing a S-Video to composite conection so i did that and them connected the composite output to a scart connector and then into my VCR...Does anyone think this is a silly way to do this ? please take alook at the diagram here http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

Thanks !

13. Beezle

Beezle Guest

I did not know that you can convert Vcd to VHS. Does that mean that you can pause the end of Disc 1, and then continue converting after inserting disc 2 to get one whole movie on a vhs tape? Also, what equipment is needed? I have a VCR and a DVD player. Do I need anything else? Are there guides on the web for doing this type of conversion?

14. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Yes. You can go vcd to vhs via the composite video in/out. But making a copy of the vcd using a CD-R maybe a cleaner copy.

15. jdog2k

jdog2k Guest

Respond back if this helps anyone

Change your Video Bit Vibrate to 2k it probly at 1.5 now set it to 2 and edit your movie
    i use dazzle and take my avi us that thge convert to Mpeg-1 then is dazzle produce a movie with video vibrate at 2k otherwise it comes out coppie and sound doesn't match the vide crazy

16. joe_smoe

joe_smoe Guest

To get rid of the lines you can connect an RF modulator between your DVD player and the VCR. You can by an RF modulator from Radio shack for about 20 bucks!

17. sapne99

sapne99 Guest

hi!

u said it was no problem recording from dvd to vhs. Could u please let me know how to do this.

Or u can give a tutorial address, i will be grateful.

18. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

joe_smoe: If the lines you are referring to are those created by macrovision, there isn't an RF-modular made that will get rid of them, Radio Shack's modulator or anyone elses. (Who told you that?) Been there - done that - cried my eyes out I did.

Macrovision, when part of a video stream, is so well embedded within the stream itself, using an RF-modulator has no beneficial effect whatsoever. Try it, and you too can cry along with the rest of us. The rotten folks at macrovision had this one figured out long ago.

-- K.A.--

19. My_Belle

My_Belle Member

ok i might sound dumb to y'all but i really
    need y'alls help .... i need to record from a
    VCR to a VCR and i really dont know how to
    do it, and i hope someone knows and be
    able to help me... plz if someone knows, feel
    free to email me:
    samanthaskone@hotmail.com...

thank you...

20. NUDGE

NUDGE Guest

hi - once again i am fairly new to this as well - but am having trouble dubbing dvds to vhs - without using a computer - is there any way of doing this - i am technical and was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way of cancelling out the macrovision inside the dvd player. if not is there an appliance you can buy and if where and how much - cheers to all that reply