1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by chuj666, Jul 2, 2007.

1. chuj666

chuj666 Member

Which DVD/VHS combo player does the best job in recording VHS to DVD?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try this site.Check off the features (in this case 'VCR')and you will get a list with user comments.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders

Note that most combo type machines will honour 'Macrovision' and will refuse to copy VHS movies that contain this protection.
    To backup these tapes requires a standalone tape player and a 'video enhancer'.

3. chuj666

chuj666 Member

Thanks for the reply, but do you know of any DVD recorder that burns copyrighted VHS tapes or do you have to buy a a encrypter box?

4. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know of any who advertise the fact.
    I use a twenty year old Optex 'enhancer' on my DVD recorder that was used for dubbing between tape players and note that not all movie tapes have protection anyway.
    I think that Haupage capture cards for the PC ignore Macrovision - but capture cards have their own problems.The link I gave has details.

5. chuj666

chuj666 Member

So is it better to buy a standalone DVD recorder and hook-up the VCR thru a enhancer? what does the enhancer actually do? Does it block the copyright on the VHS?

6. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know the mechanics of the process, but in essence the video signal is stripped of any indicator that the content is protected.
    Only commercial tapes have the protection and only some of them actually have it.
    If an unfiltered tape has protection, the recorder shows a suitable message on the TV screen and it won't copy the signal.

The general quality of the DVD will reflect the quality of the tape.

7. chuj666

chuj666 Member

so is their DVD recorders with built in enhancers? it would even be better if it was DVD/VHS Combo?