1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RecordNow Max

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by WelshBoa, Dec 19, 2003.

1. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

I use this programme for backing up xbox games and it works superbly! When I do this I'm writing the ISO file.

if I have all the files which I have used SHRINK with for a DVD do I have to create an ISO file to burn or do I just copy the files into the folder on "data disc" to do this.

I havent seen a tutorial for this programme

2. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Ah I have actually found Chris McCann's guide.

OK just a few more questions sorry.... why is it that the folder has to be named VIDEO_TS out of interest? For all other programmes this has never been stipulated has it? Or certainly I have never named a folder that and it has worked.

When my blank DVD is in the drive it shows on "my computer" as 4.37GB free. So is that the actual size (I know it sounds stupid) of the disk as many files I have used to burn have been slightly over that and have worked ok.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

ALL dvd's (movies etc) require the main files to be stored in a folder called VIDEO_TS (uppercase) - this is a standard.......

Recordnow requires this folder to be present, also the 'recognise VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders' setting needs to be checked.

If not then Recordnow will not burn it as dvd video format and more than likely it will not work in a standalone player.....

4.7Gb is the generic number of bytes on a dvd, however the actual conversion process screws the linear calculation up......

1,024 Byte = 1 Kilobyte (KB)
    1,024 Kilobyte (KB) = 1 Megabyte (MB)
    1,073,741,824 Bytes = 1 Gigabyte (GB)
    1 Gigabyte (GB) = 1,024 Megabyte (MB)

4. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

RecordNow needs the VIDEO_TS folder(not a subfolder) inorder to burn whilst a program like Nero creates its own VIDEO_TS folder (then all you have to do is drag and drop the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder you have manually created to Nero's folder) Damn, even I am confused!!!
    About DVD space:
    1 KB = 1024 bytes
    1 MB = 1024 KB = 1048576 bytes
    1GB = 1024 MB = 1048576 KB = 1073741824 bytes
    So take 4.7 billion bytes, and start dividing by 1024:
    4,700,000,000 bytes = 4,589,843 KB = 4,482 MB = 4.37 GB

Hard drive manufacturers define 1 gigabyte as exactly 1,000,000,000 bytes. By their definition, a 45BG hard drive is exactly 45,000,000,000 bytes. The true definition of 1 gigabyte is actually 1,073,741,824 bytes:
    * 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte
    * 1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte
    * 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte
    To obtain the true size in gigabytes of a 45BG hard drive you must divide the manufacturer's size in bytes by the number of bytes in a gigabyte:
    45,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 = 41.9
    As such, the actual reported size in gigabytes will always be smaller than the manufacturer's advertised size.

cheezzzz

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

WelshBoa,

If you would like a simple guide, for those of us who don't have mathematics as a second language, you want to keep your DVD files at or < 4.36GB -

When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink what you will wind up with is your VIDEO_TS folder. If you are using Nero to burn, I suggest using New compilation, DVD then DVD Video and then Burn you Sucker, Burn - it'll give you a nicely toasted Backup.

"P"

a little trick I use when working with DVD's -

HINT: I created a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Starship Troopers.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\Starship Troopers" - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\Starship Troopers folder and you’re good to go. Now, if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\Starship Troopers, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Enjoy,
    “P”

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Nice one cheezzz.....

An excellent breakdown of the f...ked up bytes....

(saves me typing like a lunatic).........