1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recover files after reformat

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by kateman, Dec 12, 2006.

1. kateman

kateman Regular member

i was interested if there are any programs out there that can recover files after the computer has been reformated. I know they exist i just dont know what they're called. Can anyone help?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If it's been formatted, the data is most likely gone.

3. kateman

kateman Regular member

how is that possible, i thought data could never be truley deleted?

4. bkf

bkf Guest

No It can be. A full format is fatal to data. An over write is even more fatal. Topic of many years. Consider the data gone. A delete can be recovered because it only clears the file that contains where the data is / was, with a format that file and all the data is gone. Always back up!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  5. kateman

kateman Regular member

hmm, very interesting. i had found some programs that could claim to recover the files. Thanks for your help!

6. bkf

bkf Guest

There are many recovery programs but in the case of a format they won't work. It will come up blank. Hope you did not loose anything that can't be got again. Thats the danger of digial storage and even CD's and DVD's always a chance they will go bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  7. kateman

kateman Regular member

no iam not talking about an undelete program, i meant programs that claim that they can recover files after format and no i havent lost anything, it was just me wondering, lol.

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

When you format a drive, your system overwrites your data with random binary code (0101101, etc), so that your drive will be considerd clean by an OS.
    Any prior stored data is GONE.
    Only high end government and law enforcement (forensics) software (like the stuff you see in CSI) is able to recover bits and pieces, and sometimes an entire drive, but if the format was thorough enough, even they can't recover the data.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2006
  9. kateman

kateman Regular member

okay, thanks

10. KnoxPD

KnoxPD Member

Some one has been watching TV too much < Point's at The_Fiend >, A program called " Recover My Files " will recover files from a drive that has been formated. Mind you if another file has been writen on top of another file that file will not be able to be recovered. You can get Recover My Files at Recover My Files

11. kateman

kateman Regular member

no, the_fiend is right.

@KnoxPD: i use recover my files. it not good.

have you used this after format?

bet the answer is no.

12. timberry

timberry Member

13. kateman

kateman Regular member

quick question chea76. have you tried either of these?

14. parman

parman Member

I recently had a prob with my hd, i was directed towords Recover My Files. The first thing i did was FORMAT the hd, ran the software i mention and after a few days of scanning the drive it did recover the files i lost, i did stop it short because the movie files i lost were taking an eternity (200gb was lost) the upshot is that i succesfully recovered all my digital photos and some word and spreadsheet files that i needed AFTER the drive was formatted

15. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

Depending on the TYPE of format and the drive, RecoverMyFiles can be very successful.
    For example, simply using a windows CD to format and reinstall, RecoverMyFiles will probably be able to recover up to 100% of data, depending on circumstance and the drive's age.
    However, using a thorough, "low level" format, the results are more likely in the 30% max recovery range.
    And then there's things like Active@Killdisk to securely erase discs, but that's a different topic all together.
    Not to mention a dedicated professional with a sleuthkit disc will eventually be able to recover just about anything he or she wants.

16. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

Now you all tell me since I reformat about 4 times. I wanted all my music and photos back when the pc crashed.

Oh well.

17. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

i've used ontrack easy data recovery pro a few times to recover info even after the hd has been formated & loaded with software.