1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recover Lost Or Access Denied Files & Folders?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by NuckNFuts, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I need some help recovering lost or missing files and folders from my FireWire External hard drive.

Recently, my HDD was locking up when accessed from remote workstations (it was networked with shared folders). So then while on a trip, I had another lock up of trying to move some shared media files from TV DVR and it kept dropping out of network connection. I ran the chkdsk on one partition, it said it was fine. I then noticed that the 2nd large partition needed to be checked when it booted. I let it and it said completed, but now it says it needs to run every time I restart, and yet if I now try to run even a check in Windows, I get an error, cannot complete.

Now the worse prat is, certain files and folders ar not there and some that are return an access denied message.

How can i recover what check disk removed or deleted? Was this normal for entries to be deleted? I noticed in the fast moving chkdsk status of 2nd partition, lots of entries were be removed and or deleted but thought it was part of the fix.

The missing folders ar of memorable family and friends Photos and home videos and some backed up BIOS for my own PC. I need to recover this. The folder of corse says empty and not allowed.

Thankx in advance!

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I would download a Linux LiveCD such as the Ubuntu Live CD, burn it and boot it. Then see if you can access your files through the Ubuntu installation.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I dont know my way around Linx so it's all new to me. I do have a family member to visit that may be willing to help, but who knows how long and I really need to get what I can off of there in the event I loose the rest.

I pulled the HDD, but for the past 3 days, I was constently getting drop out of detection when plugged via IEEE and occassional errors to corrupted files and cannot save.

It is a portable HDD, is it an issue that it is normally docked to at minamal, 3 different PC (of my own, work and home)? Will it need to be on the PC where checkdisk first got scheduled (not that I can know for sure)?

What kind of apps are out there for this kind of recoverd data from so called deleted disc?

Any more help please!

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

A Live CD is...
    If you download the Ubuntu Live CD, boot to it and once its loaded go into its file explorer and try and read the drives contents.

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Still havent got holf d of the Linx CD yet. I had to turn on HDD to try and get what I can in case it contineus to delete files.

Sure enough, again I tested to let it run the check disc again on my main Office PC where I normally use it but it is the newest PC, if that matters, that is is often connected. This time I removed it from IEEE box and mounted it as internal and let it run check at start up. This time it deleted a lot more foles and restored orphaned files. When logged in, I now lost close to 200GB of files and folders of the origional 350GB saved from origional 500GB (partitioned to 100/400 split). So far, to my best knowledge, the primary bootable partition (100g) is fine after its recent checkdisc fix.

So as long as it is Windows check disc deleting all these file entries, can I get them back by some or ANY other software?

Please Help!

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I can't say for certain whether or not your files will still be accessible. I would leave it unplugged until you get that Linux CD. That Linux CD should let you view your files without any restrictions

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

K, sounds good.

So for a first time Linx user, are there any need to knows about setting up for the first time. I'm not so concerned with drivers although my mobo is fully Linx ready (ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA SE on Intel x38.

I dont have enough spare disc on one disc and may need to move groups of folders to sepperate HDD's. Or is it best to get a 2nd 500GB to off load as much as I can save from the old one?

I also now noticed, that even though check disc so called fixed files, some media left available to see is no longer playable and most shows as 0kbs as size. Folders previously locked out are completelt gone as far as Windows can see.

I hope the Linx approach can help. My new mobo actually has a Linx inbedded chip to get online but not sure if it is full OS, so I will visit family member to get CD. Is it cool to load the Linx x64 os, or do I need to stick to an x86 version?

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Stick with teh x86 version of the CD.
    Hard to say, in my opinion the best choice would be to burn the data onto DVD's, and if you don't have a DVD burner then I would NOT burn to CD's because they have so little space you would need LOTS of CD's. And Ubuntu Linux is pretty straightforward even someone completely new to Linux shouldn't have much problem with it.

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Is the x86 gonna be an issue, cause my family mmber is using the Linux Ubuntu x64 Kubuntu v7.10 for Intel 64bit. I can get this tomorrow.Or do I need to search for the 32bit?

He has for me to try (but hasn't experienced himself) some apps for recovery. They are Paragon NTSF, Smart NTSF, and Ubuntu Rescue Remix.

Once installed, what will I be doing exactly? Is it an app installed with initial install or added in? Am I just gonna' get to see files and folders already there (as seen by XP) or can I brouse through all the deleted file entries by check disc?

Thankx again for your help and patients!

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

UPDATE: Once checked on my main workstation, it passed the check disc and did get rid of a lot of more damaged folders and 100G more files and folders. It does now boot without trying to check disc like before on 2 other PCs'.I can at least copy off the files that are left before I experiment, before I couldn't copy hardly anything without getting the error, cant copy sus n such file cause it's damaged.

I am told I can use the notebook with Kubuntu v7.10, but if isn't gonna work then I will try to get the x86 version for myself soon.

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Just got back home from work :). Okay to answer your questions....

Most modern PC's have cpu's that can be used for both 32 and 64 bit operating systems. If the x64 doesn't work then go to the x86 If you have a notebook with Kubuntu try hooking the HD to the laptop and browsing it through the laptop. You see the HD can be ready by any pc be it 64 or 32 bit, x86 or not. It is just a piece of hardware, but the x86 and 32/64 bit come into play when you are dealing with a cpu/motherboard.

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

mobo/CPU is not a prob, I just thought you were reffering to software install to work under x64. This is often the case for XP. If I want to actually keep the OS is there a good sorce of x64 apps to run for this kind of stuff and basic everyday system. What will I need if anything to join my Microsoft Network at home andf work?
    Both my Notebook and desktop are Intel Core 2 Dual x64.

Thanx!

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Linux has thousands of programs available and nearly all of them are opensource/similar to Open Source and thus free. And Kubuntu can join Windows networks right from the get-go no extra configuration needed.

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Thkas for the help and replies so far. I will try to get to it this weekend. Well I'm at it, can you reffer me to a list of apps/software to brouse through for various task such as media file conversion (IFO/VOB to Xvid/AVI or Xvid/AVI to MPEG4 etc.) Or DVD Recovery/back up software. I also need some sort of Audio apps for audio file editing such as Mp3/FLAC/WMA/WAV. Is WinAmp good for Linux, if not what is close enough?

Just some thing for me to look into during my lunch hr. ThankX!

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Or DVD Recovery/back up software. I also need some sort of Audio apps for audio file editing such as Mp3/FLAC/WMA/WAV. Is WinAmp good for Linux, if not what is close enough?

Just some thing for me to look into during my lunch hr. ThankX!
    Sorry for replying so late. Anyway all tools below are free and are great tools.

For IFO to XviD/AVI the best tool is AutoGordian Knot. Heres a good guide explaining it.

Audio Editing: Audacity, a excellent freeware tool. But if you are doing studio work then something like SoundForge would be better but it costs big $$.

I suggest Amarok as your Linux media player. And were you looking for linux programs for the stuff above? Like a linx dvd to xvid program?

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Cool, and I don't ming paying if it does what I need. I need to clean old vinle and convert to FLAC and also MP3 and AAC. So I would need something to come close to Audition or Cubasis.

And yes, I will and do need something for DVD for Linux x64 (for the stuff above). I would also like to do some medium level DVD creating like as done with Adobe Premiere 2.0 or Nero - NeroVision from other Xvid and AVI files.

Thankx!

17. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

lol forgot to post the link for the audio programs! Anyway heres a pretty good list of some of Linux's better audio programs and there descriptions.

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Haven't had any luck getting responces from users of data recovery and disc repair. I havn't yet to install Linux, but my brother in law doesn't believe it alone is gonna do anything I need to retrieve un-alocated files and folders from Windows check-disc.

I also need some suggestions on apps or utilities to scan disc sectors and repair or block out damaged sectors so OS and other apps dont continue to try to write to it anymore.

20. data15

data15 Member

I think you should take the help of data recovery programs.
    Nucleus technologies provides result oriented software to recover data..

visit: http://www.nucleustechnologies.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.