1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering files from HD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Purrrdy, May 17, 2007.

1. Purrrdy

Purrrdy Member

Someone wake me up from this nightmare! I have a HP that was one of the ones that HP didn't send recovery disks with and until now, it wasn't a problem ;) I did all of the tests that the SMB recommended and then posted my HJT log. I've not checked it today, but I hadn't rec'd a reply as of last night. I ran the Panda scan (which took almost all day long!) and it said that I had NO viruses etc and was clean. I started the puter up that next morning and got the black screen of death. My IT friend had me install VNC months ago when I networked mine and kiddo's puter, so he had me try to get into Safe Mode w/networking so he could check it out from his house a couple of hours away from me. Nope....couldn't get in to Safe mode in any way shape or form. It loads the drivers (or at least some of them) and then shuts down and restarts the computer.
    I took my CPU over to a friend's house and he had a disc (I've no clue where or how he found it) that would run WinXP off of the disc. That at least allows me to get into my HD and try to rescue some of my files. I happened to have a 80gig external HD, so I started putting some of my files onto that. Problem now is that I keep getting CRE's and errors that say something about "kavich"...??? Given all of the issues I have going on with that computer, anyone have any suggestions on how to extract my very important files???

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member