1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recovery disc

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by basquiat, Apr 18, 2007.

1. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

ok i need some guidance, im setting up a pc for my mom who is not very good with computers, after i install all the software i want to make an image of the whole partition and have a simple restore disc like what comwes with dells and gateways and such, ive partitioned the hard drive into 2 partitions, so i want her to be able to pop in this disc in an emergency and restore the pc to how it was when she got it....oh and only restore c drive and leave 2nd partition intact...what is my best way to do this? thanx for all help.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Buy her a copy of Norton Ghost or a similar tool, and teach her how to use it *usually just means clicking the right options*

3. dondunna

dondunna Member

norton ghost is an excelent tool for hard drive recovery
    some would say the best, at the consumer level, although, can be difficult for beginers like your mom to use. but may not be the
    only solution, restoring HDD images is fairly advanced technology and is extremely proprietary..that is to say , product specific ..
    diffenrent vendors go about it in vastly different ways.
    try cloning the hard drive and backing up to frequently
    this might be viable if her HD is no too large.
    i.e. have a working copy of the OS installed on an other drive and hot swap them out in case of disaster.***
    i use two different external drives to back up work.
    but you should definately have a plan B...
    Ghost images have been know to fail. or you hardware damaged etc.
    you don't want to find that your only chance to recover has backed you up into a corner.
    the best deffense is a good offense.

don.dunna