1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red alert 3

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by beccajay2, Nov 9, 2008.

1. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

I just got the game and installed it but when i click play it says:
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3dx9_35.dll is not a valid windows image.please check this against your installation diskette." so i uninstalled it and reinstalled but the same happend. I looked on the internet and heard that im on a limit of installs so two questions:
    How do i fix my problem?
    Does uninstalling and reinstalling use one of my limited installs?

2. onya

onya Guest

Not being a gamer myself, I did however have a quick look around with regards to the dll problem. I came up with virus definitions and game faults...nothing absolutely conclusive. To answer your install limit question, it seems DRM has reared it's nasty little head, a little higher. Read this on red alert 3 So this seems to answer that part of your question at least. Sorry about the apparent bad news. :p
    Now that you have un-installed the game, did you run a cleaner to rid your system of old reg files etc? Did you manually go through your program files folder and delete ALL associated folders etc? Have you re-booted since?

Before you re-install the game, it would be helpful if you tell us whether it is a download or not. If it's a download, have you read the .txt or .nfo files?
    Again..before you go ahead and install the game, make sure your O/S is compatible along with all other system specs. Don't forget your HDD, has it the space required to accommodate the game.

Any luck this time around?

3. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

I have got the game from a shop so its not been downloaded.I have windows xp media center. and when i uninstalled it i just clicked the buton and it went but i didnt wipe the program files.I checked and it should work on my computer.Ea said that i should remove the file that is the problem should i risk it?

4. onya

onya Guest

You really don't have much of an option per se. All you can do is try. If all fails again..then get your money back, stuff the five strikes and you're out BS. Unless of course they'll refund your purchase after the five "and you're out" deal?
    Time for that decision only you can make. Good luck.

5. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

The risk im talking about is the file they say to remove is a windows file so if i remove it it could damage my computer but im not sure it will damage it.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

If they are saying remove the d3dx9.dll .. that sounds suspiciously like part of the dx9/graphics driver files. Print their advice.. take a snapshot of your system then try deleting the file... If it trashes your machine (bsod/no boot etc) seek legal advice and report the matter on R-Force forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  7. onya

onya Guest

Of all the things I should've posted was this (..as in varnulls advice)! Get it in writing. Ta Varnull, it must be a "wood and trees" thing with me, I just didn't see it. X=P.

8. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

I fixed it. I downloaded the file they told me to delete and its working fine. But when you said about legal advise it reminded me about battlefield 2142 they told me i needed a patch when i got the game and when i downloaded it the hard drive overheated and finaly died.Sadly i dont think theres anything i can do about it.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Ok.. i found the cure.. It's related to running an older dx9 installation. It's easily fixed by installing the latest DirectX 9.0C

not bad eh.. I don't even use directx anycrap.

BTW.. congratulations.. you now have a SecuROM spyware rootkit infested system.. expect problems with burning applications and drives.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  10. hasanayya

hasanayya Guest

11. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

i dont know if this thread has been answered or whether i am repeating (apologies if i am), but just download directx 9.0c from microsoft OR install it from one of the latest game disks you have besides ra3. should work.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009