1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

red book specification

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by deepclone, Apr 26, 2002.

1. deepclone

deepclone Guest

where can i read up on the red book specification? I got a copy-protected cd and the shop will not take it back. Have to get the facts straight.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

They SHOULD take it back. Based on what I have read, record companies have refunded returned discs.

Darn. I whish I had one protect CD for myself to play with.

You can try bypassing the protection with these:
    CloneCD (should be able to copy some audio protections. Disc image can be mounted with Daemon Tools - perhaps that's a workaround?)
    Exact Audio Copy (Might be able to rip it)
    CDEx (Same as above)
    Feurio! (Author has announced that it 'supports' some copy protections)

All are at cd-rw.org / afterdawn.com software section.

4. deepclone

deepclone Guest

I have (almost) successfully ripped all tracks of it with EAC. First half of the first track is completly silent. But apart from that it works as a non copy-protected CD. Have tried two different cd-rom drives.

It plays ok in a CD players. But when i put it into my PC a small winamp lookalike app pops up playing a lossy 80 kbps ugly quality tracks.

And it is possible to make CD copy of it but when i ripp that it behaves in the same manner.

The cd is damn good (Kent - Vapen & Ammunition) but i want a refound because i do not like this copy-protection business and i do not want to support it.

On the cover (backside) there is a warning in English that its copy-protected and cannot be played on computers. I did not see that text until i came home.

Some facts:
    - the warning is not valid because here in Finland text like that have to be in Finnish and Swedish to be valid by law.
    - they have the CD-Audio logo on it even if its not a CD-Audio by the red book specification. The logo is not on the CD or the cover. Its inside the case beside the disk.

5. andavari

andavari Member

I'm starting to think that it would be nice if a company would jiffy up an audio only cd player that supports PC's - if that's possible. Then what would the record companies do, sell us scratched discs.