1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reduce Bitrate in TMPGEnc 2.58.44.152.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Carsten, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Carsten

Carsten Member

For some time I have copied my DVD to VCD using DVDx. Sometimes the size of the output file is slightly to big to fit on a 80 min. CD or I do not fills to 80 min CD completely.

In this cases I have adjusted the bit rate to get max. quality of the use of my CD’s. This works fine with my United DVD player.

Now I am starting to convert my old VHS film into VCD. For this purpose I use a WinFastTV200XP TV card to grab the film and then TMPGEnc to convert it to VCD format. However I got the following problem:

If a film with a bitrate of the standard 1150 kbits is, let say 825 MB, I would like to reduce the bitrate slightly to keep the film on 1 CD.

I use the expert setting in the project wizard and unlock the bitrate. Chose “make file size” and set it to 100 %. TMPGEnc now tells my the size of the output file should be 786,9 MB.

Then I start the encoding and when done the output mpg file is to large to fit into 1 CD.

I have done some test. If I set the bitrate to 500, 800, 1000 or 1150 the output file size will exactly the same ! If I increase the bitrate to e.g. 1400 the file size increase as well.

Do anybody know of this problem, and if so, is there any way to fix it to make a film fit exactly to a CD?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Very easy problem to fix!! Don't use the vcd wizard just unlock the settings and enter your bit rates like before but this time, click settings - system and change Mpeg-1 Video-CD to Mpeg-1 Video-CD (non-standard) and it will drop the file size at lower birate rates!

3. Carsten

Carsten Member

Thank you very much.

I have done some test and it is perfect. For your information it also works using the wizard as long as you change to Video-CD (non standard).

I have an other question, I do not know if this is the forum or I have to make a new tread.

I have previously been looking a bit into SVCD to try to solve the above problem. As far as I can see the main difference is the resolution the bitrate and the mpeg2 codex.

Would it be any benefit in using this standard if I reduce the resolution to 352 x 288 and the bitrate to 1150 compared to using standard VCD ?

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Iwouldn't recommend those settings for Mpeg-2 files because the birate is just too slow. Besides, that is so far off standard, I would seriously doubt that a stand-alone dvd player would be able to playback correctly. Never reduce your SVCD's below 2520kbits/s