1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reducing DVD MPEG2 File Size

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by GAloys, Jan 28, 2004.

1. GAloys

GAloys Member

I have been looking for an application that would reduce the file size of MPEG2 files so that I could put the file on a single DVD. I have found a freeware application from www.rejig.org that does an excellent job - reduced a video file some 30% without apparent loss of quality. Problem is, when it transcodes, I lose the audio. Does anyone have any experience with this freeware ? Thanks.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I had heard of this program before, but not used it, so I downloaded it and looked through the guides (which didn't really mention this) and then did some testing. From what I can tell, the only output available for the new video file is an elementary (video-only) stream. It will demux the audio stream for you so you can use it to author your DVD.

When you load your file, you should see a list of audio and video streams on the right side of the screen. You need to highlight the audio stream and click the demux button. That will give you a separate audio file so you can re-mux it with the new video stream when you author the DVD.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004