1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reducing video size

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by joe69, Oct 14, 2002.

1. joe69

joe69 Guest

i would like to know how to reduce a movie file size on the harddrive for burning.the movie is mpeg (5g).recoreded it useing ATI capture.7 or 8 disc is out of the question im looking for 2 or less .the movie came from a vhs tape useing ATI.no splitters please.my bud got thirteen ghost off winmx and he was able to burn it to disc at 657 mb its also mpeg and awesome quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2002
  2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Download TMPGEnc here http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/tmpgenc.cfm

use its wizard to create vcd. when you see a box that says other settings click it and change motion search precision to Highest Quality!!

You can only fit 80mins of standard vcd on a disk, if you need more and don't care about quality loss then I would be glad to help with that too!

3. joe69

joe69 Guest

thanks dela for info.i sure could use your help im very frustrated and about to give up.what format should i use to record in?i have many choices useing ati capture video card?tmpgenc looks hard can you help me use it?i tried it before but i think i messed with its settings to much.im trying to get my many vhs tapes to disc without useing 7 or 8 disc.also my vcd sound doesnt match the video...i will download tmpgenc and wait for feedback.

4. Dela

An avi or mpeg would be ok for TMPGEnc. TMPGEnc is not complicated at all, just follow the wizard at startup and it will encode a movie for you into vcd easily!.

With vcd you wont be using 7 or 8 discs it would be 2 at the most! Each cd can hold 80mins. TMPGEnc is also able to split the files for this purpose (I'll explain how if you need it!). Also, you said that your audio and video don't match (not in sync!), you said it was on vcd that it didn't. Did you useTMPGEnc to create that vcd? and if you did, what were those settings you changed?

We're nearly there trust me

5. joe69

joe69 Guest

i recored a vhs tape on to the hard drive useing ati capture card. the vid is 60 min. long and 954 mb long i then loaded it to nero exspress vcd and it fit just fine i then burned it ,it took 5 hrs to burn .when i played it in power dvd the sound doesnt keep up with the video.for a vcd it looked good

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2002
  6. joe69

joe69 Guest

in tmpgenc there is video box and audio box when i tried to load a mpeg video it frozes.

7. Dela

TMPGEnc must have a compatibility issue with your file! No worrys, there is plenty more software to try. For instance try Mpeg2vcd (kazaa its freeware n e way!) or Panasonic Mpeg-1 Encoder (has to be purchased for full use!).

You can also try alternatives like VirtualDUB frameserving to TMPGEnc (theres a lot of info on it on this site!).