1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformat hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ShaneXH, Jan 29, 2005.

1. ShaneXH

ShaneXH Guest

My Windows XP disc is supposed to be able to reformatt my harddrive just through its menu....but it wont becuase it says "you can not perform this operation becuase you have a newer version of windows" which I think is do to windows automatic update....so I tried another way my friend told me...to just go into my computer hit right click and format...but this didnt work becuase it says close all disk utilities and applicatios using the disk...which is not possible becuase windows is running on it....I have all the driver disc and such and I know how to put the OS back on it....but I dont know how else to reformat it...is there another way please help

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

restart, access your boot menu and boot from your cd/dvd drive.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

In addition to what Flip says, once the computer boots up to the XP on your CD, goes through the paces to get to the screen where it will allow you to install XP, make sure that the partition that you want XP installed on, is highlighted.

Then, click on the option to DELETE that partition. It will take you to 3 different screens to do this, and you have to click on a certain key on the keyboard to have it delete the partition.

Once that is done, it will show the partition as being unallocated or unassigned. (Sorry, can't remember the proper term. It is early in the morning.) Now, make sure that that partition is highlighted and click on install Windows XP. It will then re-create the partition and format it. It will give you the option on what type of format to use. Make sure that you pick NTFS. It will now go on its merry way of installing XP on a newly formatted partition.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. comprun

comprun Guest

yesterday i did exactly wat the other guys said to do (boot xp and format through there) and it worked very nicly

5. ShaneXH

ShaneXH Guest

thanks guys

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You are welcome, Shane, but did you get your problem solved?

7. jlamorie

jlamorie Member

I just had a new harddrive put in due to bad crash. The guy had my computer for 2 weeks to do this and since I got back has not worked right and he keeps having excuses. So I want to reformat and do a clean install. My programs work right its windows that isn't staying consistant. So do I understand that all I have to do is stick my xp CD in and choose clean install and it will lead me through the process. I will not take this computer back to this Blank blank person. $160.00 and working for poo. I appreciate any help as this is first attempt at this.. Thanks

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just do as above & you should be alright but if in doubt, ask