1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reformating a hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Deadra, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadra

Deadra Member

Yes, they came on a cd, but my motherboards manual showed me how to put them onto a floppy.

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

What OS were you using, Windows XP?

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

EUREKA!!!!11

Unfortunately sometimes there is no alternative around the drivers: (

glade you got it to work!

-tripplite

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Exactly my point here trippy! XP does not include most vendors drivers for the controller - even most Windows Server OS' don't include the driver. 99 percent of the time, I have to load a supplied driver from the developer or get one from the vendors website.

Case closed...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Non-standard configurations it makes sense. Just out of curiosity, what exactly is a slipstreamed OS and how commonplace are they?

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

It's considered anything that has something extra included in it, such as an OS with a service pack included.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

your basically modifying the OS, you can put drivers, programs, xp updates, remove parts of windows that are unnecessary and other such tasks

the program of choice to do these edits is nlite
    http://www.nliteos.com/

-tripplite

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AH I see, I've only used versions of XP that already include Service Pack 2, except for once with an original build of XP Home - that detected my Raptor fine as well.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  9. Deadra

Deadra Member

Thanks guys for all the comments, now I know that whenever I want to install windows onto my hard drive, I gotta install the sata drivers first. Not sure about other hard drives though. Mine is pretty old, maybe that's why.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Deadra, has nothing to do with the hd but to do with the motherboard sata controllers.

11. Deadra

Deadra Member

Oh really. Do some motherboards come with the sata drivers already built in?

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

drivers are software so unless the bios is modified to take the drivers then no they are not built in.

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I looked at the link tripplite provided, MIT stuff.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

In the last couple of years I've built quite a few computers and except for the Western digital Raptors all of the Hard drives used were SATA, and all were installed using XP. I haven't used a floppy drive since my last P2 computer and yet I've never had an difficulties of any kind reformatting and installing Windows using an SATA drive with the XP install disc only. As a rule Windows has had a hard time reading the drive but as I stated in an earlier post that was resolved by disabling every drive except the CD/DVD Rom in the bios.

All of the SATA drives that I used for my builds have NCQ.

Once Windows is installed then I install the chipset drivers and AHCI support is then enabled by Intel's drivers. The first time that I tried and failed to install an SATA Hard drive is when I began to disable all other drives and it has never failed to work for me. NOw admittedly all of my boards have either been Asus or Gigabyte but as you can see in the image SATA is enabled on my system.

[​IMG]

15. tripplite

tripplite Guest

nlite software???

really a very useful program, a slipstreamed OS is much easier to install

works wonders :)

-tripplite

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You had an IDE Raptor? I didn't know they made those, I thought they were all S-ATA. Or did you have a SCSI one? I think they made those a while back...

Optical drives are an interesting bunch, I had to unplug one of my S-ATA hard drives to be able to boot the XP CD off a USB DVD drive...

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Perhaps not, sometimes my memory is less than perfect because I've seen so many drives. I can't check on my old 36 GB Raptor because it is long gone. I do however still have my 150 but I'm certain that it is SATA. I don't think that there ever was a SCSI model.

Now let me ask you this, what's the point of nitpicking on this when it is off topic and helps no one in this thread? You didn't add anything to the discussion that would benefit the OP or anyone else. It was this behavior by you that caused Kivory666 to leave AD and not return. If you've got something to add in regards on the howe to install XP on an SATA drive then I am certain that the OP and others would like to hear it. If you read my last post you will see that was the purpose of it and it was filled with solid advice.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'd be fooled into thinking the 36GB Raptor is IDE because it has the old 4-pin molex power connector on it. It has the S-ATA connections too though, along with a big warning, not to power it both ways! :)

Again with the moaning about me nitpicking, I asked because I was intrigued by the prospect of an IDE raptor. That could potentially come in handy. If you had one, it would have been easier to ask you for first hand advice than trawl through the web trying to find out what they were like.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sam, I've been using molex plugs since for over 15 years and I'm not that easily fooled by anything. There is a difference between not remembering and not understanding.

I knew even as I made my last post that you wouldn't get it.

I doubt the veracity of that statement since you wouldn't have posted until you first googled it to see that you were right. Once you had proven to yourself that you were right the entire statement becomes blatantly false. Hence you are just nitpicking and I've grown weary of it. Truly contrived is giving advice in absence of empirical knowledge.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not responding further to this. If you have a complaint, send a personal message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.