1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reformating a hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Deadra, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Perhaps but it would all be so easy if you just stopped nipping at my heals like an annoying chihuahua. I have no interest in arguing with you I just want you to think a little before posting.

2. Dragula96

Dragula96 Guest

Sam tends to do that, I think it's an ego thing.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Sam may do a little nitpicking, every once in awhile, but he has certainly helped a multitude of folks, over the years.

As has Sophocles.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

lets keep to the helping & not the nitpicking as it doesn't help anybody. agreed?

5. killalot

killalot Active member

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that's all well and good, but what happens when you get criticised when you weren't even nitpicking?

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

now i dont want to fight....

when the information provided by a member is wrong others will come in and correct it, i personally have provided in correct information wayyyy to many times but fortunately others have come in spotted it and pointed out it was wrong:D

if it weren't for me, gooody, and the good king engage all of you would be under the impression that XP can be installed without the use of a sata controller(s) which it can't (we have all agreed that there are ways around this ....that only apply in some circumstances however)

so being nit picky is good thing, it helps us get our information straitened out;)
    ahh Sophocles sammy was justing asking a question?? soo whats the deal??

OK ya know what...lets have a nice debate??? changing the boot order does not spawn sata drivers, alls your doing is setting the cd-rom drive to boot first, which isn't going to create a sata driver, so stop saying that by changing the boot order your computer will have sata support because it wont! and computers like gateways that have locked bios's there isn't even away around it!! you must install the drives at boot in order to get XP to detect the discs!!!.....why do you think software like nlite was created??? why do computer manufacturers give out sata drivers?? because they know during a reinstall SATA drivers might/ most probably will be needed....

we have proven it in this thread Sophocles, sorry for the instigating i apologize

-tripplite

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  8. killalot

killalot Active member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Even I'm in agreement with sophocles on that one, it was a bit harsh.
    This thread's redundant, I think it should be closed and we should move on, and no hard feelings Soph, I genuinely wasn't intending to nitpick.

Oh darn it, my reply is halfway up the page...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

From killalot's link.

I've installed SATA drives on probably better than 40-60 PC's can't remember, and again in 100% of the installations nothing more was needed than the XP install disc. I am however willing to concede as I have previously that there are some computers that simply won't respond to what I've recommended. I just haven't seen one yet, but no doubt will. Among computers that I've had success with included run of the mill compag/HP systems, and of course the tweaked out rigs that I've built for myself, friends, and paid for clients.

Sounds familiar to me.

In regards to Sammy, I don't mind him adding salient information to a discussion, but this constantly showing up with pointless information to nitpick at something that was not a part of the discussion gets tiresome. A rhetorical question is when one already knows the answer to it before asking.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I've already quoted what killalot posted, so no need to get into that.

Only way you could have accomplished that was with the OEM XP cd, supplied by the vendor, with the embedded SATA drivers included. Or, use that workaround.

All I'm trying to say is that XP doesn't have support for SATA controllers, out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  12. tripplite

tripplite Guest

Are you by any chance a Keebler Elf??? let me guess your job got outsourced to a Chinese bakery and now you assembly computers for Dell??

perhaps all those cookie fumes have gone to your head......

and your keebler magic right??? because nothing can be done without keebler MAGIC!!! heheheCOPTER

-tripplite

13. ddp

i'm with sophocles as i've yet to load sata drivers before xp is loaded. i just finished doing 1 this past saturday with a 160gig wd sata drive on an asrock wolfdale board. i changed the boot sequence to boot from cd 1st to load xp & loaded the motherboard drivers after xp pro sp2 is loaded. no problems at all. same goes with the 3 namebrand laptops i upgraded from vista to xp pro sp2, no problems. is it a namebrand issue tho doubt it because of the 3 laptops & 1 tower that are name brands.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually we have a corporate license where I can download ISO copies of XP Pro, and server 2003. All of our computers were purchased by the Schoolboard of Hillsborough County.

We can debate this until the cows come home, but to what end. It's clear that some of us can install an SATA drive using no more than the original XP install disc, I've done it many times and have yet to experience it not working. I have two OEM copies, an Upgrade copy, and two retail copies. I have 5 desktops (one has Linux on it), all of them have SATA drives in them, and I have never used anything to install but the discs mentioned above.

Since the OP is no longer participating in this thread and I see no reason to continue to debate what I know I've done and is true for my systems. Have a good day!!

I no doubt will run into one where I won't be successful and then I will have to consider slip streaming driver to a disc. BTW, I've always used Nero 6 or 7 to slipstream discs, but then at the time there were no independent software that did it.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

BTW, that's assemble.

Actually I provide technology services to the school system I work for. In one school alone there is close to 600 computers

That is just unnecessarily rude and very ignorant of you. First it implies that because I disagree with you I am lying, which I am not, and that you know something I don't which is obviously untrue.

16. ddp

closed to stop a potential flamewar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.