1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformatting hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by morph1119, Nov 23, 2007.

1. morph1119

morph1119 Member

I currently have my a partitioned C and D.Im running my OS off of my C drive and cousin or cousins did something to it where it crashed and it no longer functions correctly i.e theres no more sound, and the graphics are messed up, and the list goes on. How do I reformat the C drive without erasing anything on the D drive?thank you

2. KiNtArO01

KiNtArO01 Guest

what os are you using xp

3. AXT

AXT Guest

By using this:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Be forewarned that if you do not know what you are doing then read up and do research if you do not want to lose all you data.

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

If you have your windows installation cd just bootup with that. When you get to the screen where it asks where do you want to install windows pick your c: partition. Next it will ask how do you want to format it "quick or normal" and if you want to use fat32 or ntfs. Choose normal if you want to get everything set back to 0 on your c: partition. If you have windows 98 choose fat32, if you have windows xp or vista choose ntsf. Make sure you choose format, theres also an option to leave partition intack and install windows in it without formatting. If you do that you will have 2 windows on one partition, which is bad.

Doing it this way there is no danger of losing your d: partition. Just remember once you format your c: partiton all will be gone, so save all your valuable files to your d: drive, or even an external drive just in case.

You need to format the c: partition from an external bootcd, because windows won't allow you to format from within windows itself. It prefers not to commit suicide.