1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Refurbishing a PC from an existing casing... Possible or Not?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by it_geek, Oct 17, 2014.

1. it_geek

it_geek Member

Okay, truth be told, the title is a bit ambiguous, but here's the situation:
    I have two mobo/processor dead units that I want to refurbish. Obviously, I thought that almost all of the parts wasn't going to be salvageable since they were all of older technology (e.g. DDR rams). Nonetheless, I felt that throwing away the two casings was going to be a pity, and I was wondering if I could make use of these empty shells with some remaining tools to give the PC a new life.

Note that the black Acer Veriton 7600 GT is 11 years old, and the Lenovo 3000 H100 Series is just 8 years. The Acer Veriton was the more powerful one (apparently) but both of the warranties are expired, so getting an original mobo/processor unit is out of the question.

Attached are the photos of the two PCs:

1. Back of the Acer Veriton 7600 GT
    [​IMG]

2. The inside of the Acer Veriton 7600 GT [​IMG]

3. The fronts of both computers
    [​IMG]

4. And lastly, the back of the Lenovo 3000 H100:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the obscenely large pix, I will appreciate if someone could offer me a better photo hosting service
    ^ ^

So, basically I want to be able to transfer from the old system the following items:
    -3 IDE Hard disks
    -2 SATA(I) Hard disks
    -2 80 pin ATAPI IDE Cables

Everything else in there is useless.

Given the above information and the photos, please inform me if I should get an ATX or microATX mobo. I have looked on Google, and many sites are giving me inconsistent information, so I reckon I get some experts here to provide me with this opinion!

Depending on the form factor of the mobo, please recommend me the best yet cost-effective model that is able to fit into the casings, and tell me if any special cutting in the back casing is required. Optimally, I still want to be able to have the port on the mobo to be hooked up to the front panel.

I am not going to be stingy on this computer, but I don't want the cost to exceed SGD $1500.
    -I hope to have the following configuration for my system - please provide your honest opinions!
    (I really cannot decide on the motherboard model - help me! But I am looking for a Haswell i5 minimum, NOT Sandy Bridge)
    -LG SATA Blu-Ray Writer
    -A decent 5.1 sound system (or minimum 2.1 if really CMI)
    -Cooler Master 1000 w Power Supply
    -Kingston DDR3 HyperX (Reliability) CL10 Kit 2 x 8GB vs Corsair Vegenance Pro CL 11 Kit 2 x 8GB (Performance-Oriented) which one is really better???
    -A DisplayPort standard supported Graphics Card (wanting to upgrade from the NVIDIA Geforce GT630 GFX Card that I have)
    **BTW: Bear in mind that my country doesn't import OEM Graphics Cards from the Original Vendors, instead third party ones branded on top of the originals are the only ones available in the market.

The operand environment is Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit (I already have the license, so not a problem)

I look forward to everyone's advice/comments/arguments and what not :)

Have fun! -it_geek.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the top case can take an atx & the bottom case can take an uatx board. only problem you might have with either or both is the connectors from the front of the case as you might have to re-work them to fit the new boards. all 3 cases that my computers are in are out of the electronic recycle bins we have in town.

3. it_geek

it_geek Member

When you mention 'top' and 'bottom', you mean the 1st and last pic in the first post?

Also, what tools do you recommend that I cut a hole in the back casing?

I am also looking forward to suggestions for good motherboard models and also Intel processor models that I can house in the two casings (one for each casing please!)

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes on "1st and last pic". if going to use ddr3 ram means that the board will most likely not have ide ports or might have 1 ide port that can handle only 2 of those ide hard drives. can get pci 1de controller card(s) for those drives. why do you need to cut a hole in the back of the case as that motherboard back plate where the motherboard external ports are removeable once the motherboard is removed? you are looking at at least an i3 capable board to go into those cases.