1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding PSOne backing up.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Dawezy, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Dawezy

Dawezy Member

Gday, im reletively new to using this old CD Writer of mine.. as i recently came across Final Fantasy 8 & 9 (both PAL version) which i wish to backup.. the only problem is.. after following every instruction i found on http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/psxclonecd.cfm that guide, the copies i create, simply dont load (and before you ask, yes, i do have a Mod Chip, lol) now, before i waste ANOTHER CD i'd like you to check out this image of the Write Profile Settings.. seeing as though my CD Writer is different from the one used in that particular guide, i dont have those options open to me.. rather, these ones; http://dawezy.squareultima.com/images/CDCWriteProfile.gif the other options are "Emulate" or "Ignore" so erm.. could i ask for a bit of help? what do i set this thing to, to make it work?

Cheers,
    Dawezy

BTW, i made a backup of Tekken3 using the excat same settings, and it worked fine.. so im kind of at a loss for words here.

[bold]CD Writer details;[/bold]
    Manufacturer: MATSHITA
    Product: CD-R CW-7503
    Revision: 1.08

[bold]Device Capabilities:[/bold]
    Can write CD-R Discs: Yes
    Can write CD-RW Discs: No
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: No
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO: Yes
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO Write Simulation: Yes
    Supports Buffer Underrun Protection: No

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I find alcohol 120% better for game backups mate! Have you tried it?

3. Dawezy

Dawezy Member

Ive never heard of it before today, but i will go and give it a try.. is there a guide to this one for doing PSOne CD's somewhere i could look at?

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

are these games the ea patch type?

5. Dawezy

Dawezy Member

ea patch type? im uh, not sure what you mean by that mate.. they are both retail PAL Final Fantasy 8 and Final Fantasy 9..

Also, i just had a try at Alcohol 120% on this computer, and the computer upstairs (has a faster burner, DVD aswell i think) and it still didnt work.. anybody who is familuar with either game would understand this next bit;

After i try a burn, the CD loads up fine, goes past the BIOS screen, then the big PSX logo.. it then goes black, and you can hear the PSX loading away, then shortly after.. it repeats the same sounds of louding, over and over and over again, whilst nothing pops up on the screen.

If this fails.. well, i may just get them retail anyway... (already got FF4, 5, 6, 7, heh)

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

EA SPORTS

obviously ea sports uses its protection scheme which can be a bitch to copy! and other game makers "dont know which?" also use ea sports encrption coding now! and this has to be rememded so it will play! but i have never done this! only read on it! i have backed up some psx and ps2 games to date!

i too have this error "BLACK SCREEN/SPIN forever" and i got it down to my ACEKEY 650 meg modchip... theres a 700meg chip now! for acekey!

what chip you using?

also what media as game consoles can be dam picky!

thx....

7. Dawezy

Dawezy Member

Hm.. well, this game was made quite a while ago (1999 for both titles pretty much).. so i'd assume no for an EA Patch, since its done by an entirely different company and all.. my modchip? i have no earthly idea what it is, but its worked with technically every CDR i put in (650MB&700MB).. music ones aswell.

The Media i am using is..

[bold]Laser CD-R (Up to 40x)[/bold] 700MB CDR
    [bold]Verbatim CD-RW "DataLifePlus" (4x to 12x)[/bold] 650MB CDRW

I have been using all of the Laser CD-R CD's on my computer downstairs, since they dont like to work upstairs for some odd reason.. and i only tried [bold]one[/bold] Verbatim CD-RW and the PSX didnt pick it up at all.. it went right into the Bios (CD Player/Memory Card Viewer) heh..

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i cant remember exactly but, i think speed coping is an issue! say 2x or whatever...

your chip? do you need a gameshark or action replay disc to fire the copies up? i do!

theres a great site and i am trying to remember the name but for the life of me i cant? when i do i will tell you! its all for psx ps1 and ps2 dedicated! with very knowledgeable people on it, i used the site to help on RIPPING dvd to cdr! for ps2! as i dont have a dvd copier yet!

9. Dela

I dont think these games need an EA patch and i have been copying a lot of games for a few years now (until my ps2 caught fire :( ). All I can say is use very good cd-r media because cheap media doesnt mix with ps1 or ps2! Use slow burning and in my opinion, Alcohol 120% is the best program to use for backups!

10. Dawezy

Dawezy Member

Rotary, my mod chip is internal and i have never had to use any gameshark device to get any of my CDR to work.. heh, that answered that question.. also, i will give a 1x or 2x backup a try later on today and see if it makes a difference.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

just checked out your specs!

Can write CD-R Discs: Yes
    Can write CD-RW Discs: No <-- NOT GOOD!
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: No <--NOT GOOD! you need this!
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO: Yes
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO Write Simulation: Yes
    Supports Buffer Underrun Protection: No <---NOT GOOD!

the not burning raw dao maybe the problem? have you done anyother games?

thx...

how did the 1x 2x burn go?

12. Dawezy

Dawezy Member

I just finished a 1x Write, no difference.. it still gives me the blank screen of doom -_-` i will try using the upstairs computer in the following few days (has better CDWriter) so until then.. ehh.. i dont want to waste anymore cds...

And yes, i did one other game.. Tekken3, worked like a charm, oddly enough.

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

NTSC= USA
    PAL= Outside the USA

If this is a ps1 game you're backing up it's possible you have a wrong version? Of all the dvd's I've backed up, all of them are NTSC. I would think this applies to ps1 games as well if you live in the good ole' USA but hey, I'm NO expert on the issue of backing up ps1...?
    CloneCD 4.2.0.2 easily backups ps1 games as long as you have a good working mod chip. Your cdrw is manufactured by Panasonic.

Shoey :)__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2003
  14. Dela

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well I was going to suggest converting but from what i understand, it's a game he\she is backing up and didn't know if converting would o the trick. Your good Dela (real good m8)!

[bold] Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: No [/bold]
    NOT good if your burner can't write RAO DAO for backing up cd protection of any kind. Consider another burner like the Lite-ON LTR 52\32\52 or 52\24\52 burner = can't go wrong.

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2003
  16. Dela

It's rare that he/she would have to anyway, unless the game was an import or something!

17. Dawezy

Dawezy Member

Ehh.. thanks anyway fellas :), heh.. i got a friend who is like, and expert at CD Writing so i left him to do it for me ^_^ so uh.. delete or close this topic if you want.

BTW, im a he, lol.

18. Dela

lol, so am i actually! people mistake it all the time though! glad u finally got it done! buy your friend a drink :)